Looking for easy and healthy breakfast ideas? Well, if you haven’t hopped on the overnight oat train, now’s the time. 99% of the time I eat overnight oats for breakfast because it’s super easy, vegan, filling, and the flavor combos are endless! Give this no-cook recipe a try and get ready to fall in love.
Overnight oats – the real breakfast of champions. You are going to be OBSESSED with these yummy breakfast treats because they are…
- Easy to make
- Healthy and simple ingredients
- Change up the flavor combinations (aka never get bored)
- Cheap to make
- Great for meal prepping
Oh, and they just so happen to be completely vegan!
What’s not to love?!
What are Overnight Oats?
But what is this magic of a no-cook breakfast recipe? Vegan overnight oats are a combination of oats, chia seeds, and almond milk. When this combo sits for a period of time, it gets nice and thick, like a pudding.
Ingredients for Overnight Oats
There are only 3 ingredients in this ridiculously easy vegan breakfast recipe! You need:
- Rolled oats
- Chia Seeds
- Unsweetened almond milk
Plus any extra flavor goodies you like! Keeping reading for some yummy ideas 🙂
Best Oats for Overnight Oats
You can use any oats you have on hand (steel-cut oats, quick oats, rolled oats, etc). I usually buy rolled oats because they hold their shape. Learn about the difference between different oats!
Tip: I buy my oats and chia seeds in the bulk section of my grocery store, paying a fraction of the price of packaged foods.
How to Make Vegan Overnight Oats
Not only are the only 3 ingredients in this recipe, there are only 3 steps – with no cooking!
- Combine oats, almond milk, and chia seeds in a mason jar.
- Seal the jar and shake well.
- Place in the fridge to firm up. This can take as little as 30 minutes, but can be made overnight (hence the name, overnight oats!). The longer they sit, the thicker the oats will be.
Extra Add-ins for Overnight Oats
One of the (many) reasons I love vegan overnight oats is that the flavor combos are endless! These are just a few other scrumptious ingredients that you can include in this breakfast oats recipe:
- Nut Butters – peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, or even homemade Nutella!
- Hemp seeds
- Nuts – walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, etc. either stirred in before chilling
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Fruit – strawberries, blueberries, bananas, mango, and pineapple are all delicious options
Flavor Ideas for Overnight Oats
You can add one or two (or all!) of the suggested extras listed above, or try one of my favorite flavor combinations! Here are the top 3 combos I make most often:
- Tropical overnight oats – with chunks of pineapple, shredded coconut, and macadamia nuts
- Chocolate vegan overnight oats – with homemade vegan Nutella and sliced bananas
- Peanut butter and jelly overnight oats – with peanut butter and an easy berry compote!
Tip: Most of the optional goodies can be stirred in with the other ingredients before chilling and/or added on top before serving. However, I suggest that you only add chopped fresh fruits right before eating the overnight oats.
Do You Eat Overnight Oats Cold?
Yes! In my opinion, the best way to enjoy overnight oats for breakfast is chilled, like a pudding.
However, you totally can heat the overnight oats before enjoying! This is really great during the fall and winter. Just scoop from the jar into a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for a few seconds until warm.
Storage and Meal Prepping Suggestions
Overnight oats are FANTASTIC for meal prepping! I like to pre-measure all my oats and chia seeds and just add the almond milk the night before. Then you have a quick grab-and-go breakfast in the am!
Stored in a sealed container in the fridge, these homemade vegan overnight oats will keep well for up to 5 days.
If you tried any of these overnight oatmeal recipes, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Overnight Oats
Overnight Oat Base:
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- fruit sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, blueberries, chopped peaches, etc.
- nuts chopped almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, etc.
- hemp seeds
- nut butter almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter, etc.
Overnight Oats Base:
- Add all ingredients to mason jar or another airtight container.
- Shake well and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to eat, top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
4 thoughts on “Vegan Overnight Oats”
Overnight oatmeal is my FAVORITE breakfast ever! I have to try that Nutella and banana flavor.
Mine too! Can’t wait for you to try out the Nutella and banana one 🙂
I tried the spinach flavor and it came out great! Love finding ways to add vegetables to my breakfast! It’s really filling too!
I love adding veggies to my breakfast too! Glad you enjoyed 🙂