This lemon orzo soup is the perfect light and refreshing weeknight meal! Just shy of 45 minutes, this one-pot soup can be ready on the dinner table in no time. Pair with warm bread for a wholesome and healthy meal.
Just when you thought we were out of soup season I come at chya with this recipe. Although the days are getting warmer, nothing is more comforting than a bowl of soup. This orzo lemon soup is vegan and is light and refreshing in comparison to a denser more heartier winter soup. I love that this soup is healthy and can easily be made gluten-free by swapping out the orzo for more beans or another gluten-free grain. What makes soups even better is I can make a big batch of this and it will last a few nights – freeing up my schedule to enjoy the sunshine.
The key to a great homemade soup is all about the layers! If you add the ingredients in the proper order and let cook, the results will be fool-proof! The base starts with onion, carrot, and celery aka mirepoix aka the holy trifecta for soup starters! Add to a stockpot along with olive oil and garlic and let cook in a stockpot for a few minutes. Next, add vegetable broth, orzo, lemon juice, lemon zest, and seasonings and let simmer.
Last, just mix in chickpeas and some parsley and VOILA! This soup does not take long to make at all and now you are LOADED with dinners for the week. This recipe is as good as it gets and you need to try this STAT.
Some soups taste great after storing in the freezer, but this recipe is slightly tricky!
Tip: If you plan on freezing this soup, omit pasta. When pasta is reheated, it can become overcooked and mushy! This would create a not-so-delicious soup recipe.
This orzo lemon soup is a favorite of mine to make in big batches for weekdays. Pair with some warm bread for the ultimate comfort meal or a fresh salad for a lighter fare. The chickpeas in this recipe is a great source of vegan protein; however, if you are not vegetarian, adding chicken would be great too!
If you tried this vegan orzo lemon soup, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Orzo Lemon Soup with Chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 3 small-medium carrots peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 celery stalks diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped (optional for serving)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven on medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook until onions are translucent (about 7 minutes). Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add veggie broth, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, orzo, chickpeas, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil; stirring occasionally to prevent orzo from sticking to the bottom.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove rosemary and bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Stir in chopped parsley and remove from heat.
- Serve warm and top with more parsley and fresh cracked pepper.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!