Just when you thought we were out of soup season I come at chya with this recipe. Although the days are getting warmer, nothing is more comforting than a bowl of soup. This orzo lemon soup is vegan and is light and refreshing in comparison to a denser more heartier winter soup. I love that this soup is healthy and can easily be made gluten free by swapping out the orzo for more beans or another gluten free grain. What makes soups even better is I can make a big batch of this and it will last a few nights – freeing up my schedule to enjoy the sunshine.
The base starts with onion, carrot, and celery aka mierpoix aka the holy trifecta for soup starters. Add some garlic and olive oil and cook in a stock pot.
Then we add vegetable broth, orzo, lemon juice, lemon zest, and seasonings and let simmer.
Last just mixed in chickpeas and some parsley and that’s it! This soup does not take long to make at all and now we are loaded with dinners for the week. This recipe is as good as it gets and you need to try this STAT.
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-4 celery stalks, dices
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- fresh parsley (optional for serving)
- On medium heat, heat olive oil. Add carrot, celery, and onion and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent
- Add veggie broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, orzo, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper
- Stir and bring to boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins
- Stir in chickpeas and serve with fresh parsley
If you try out this soup, remember to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado! I’d love to see your creation. Cheers, friends!