Chai spice, oats, maple syrup, and brown sugar are combined to create this dreamy chai slow cooker oatmeal recipe. Set the crockpot at night and by morning you will have a delicious breakfast waiting for you.
Oats are a staple in my diet which I practically eat every morning. Overnight oats are so simple to make and can be paired with so many fruit/topping combos. Warm oatmeal takes over in the chillier months, but overnight oatmeal is still a priority. I like breakfast during the week that is easy to take on the go and will keep me full. Slow cooker oatmeal was actually a trickier challenge for me that was a lot of trial and error. Here’s my pro tips!
Tips for making delicious slow cooker oatmeal:
- Use steel cut oats if possible. Steel cut oats take longer to break down than quick oats so they won’t become mush in a crockpot for 8 hours. Oatmeal is mushy to begin with, but you don’t want the oats to break down entirely. If you only have quick oats on hand, I suggest cutting the slow cooker time down to 4 hours.
- Do a trial run while you are home. Slow cooker times vary a lot and 8 hours in my slow cooker might be different than yours. I’ve also read online some people’s cooked in 2-3 hours! I recommend setting it to 3 hours and checking just to make sure it doesn’t overcook.
- Spray the inside of the crockpot with a non stick cooking spray (or rub with some coconut oil!) The edges tend to get crispy and this will prevent a huge mess from happening in your slow cooker.
As much as I love to cook, I’m all about recipes that are easy to make too. To make slow cooker oatmeal, you simply add all the ingredients in the Crockpot and set it. Not to mention, it’s like really cheap to make oats for breakfast and very healthy. If you’re like me and have hectic mornings, this breakfast recipe is far healthier than a bowl of cereal or that pit stop at Starbucks en route to work!
Top this chai slow cooker oatmeal with fresh fruit, nuts, coconut, hemp seeds, or a drizzle of maple syrup to add some extra nutrients and flavor!
If you tried this chai slow cooker oatmeal let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Chai Slow Cooker Oatmeal
This crockpot oatmeal is so simple to make and beyond flavorful. Oats, coconut milk, and chai spice whisked together and sweetened with maple syrup and brown sugar. Healthy breakfast just got a lot more comforting.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 13 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chai spice see recipe notes
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- non stick cooking spray
Spray inside of slow cooker with non stick cooking spray
Add all ingredients to slow cooker and whisk to combine
Set on low for 8 hours (this could vary with different slow cookers. See notes)
To DIY your own chai spice blend:
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground all spice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons ground ginger
Crockpot times may vary. I recommend doing a test run first before leaving it on for 8 hours.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission so thank you for your support!