This creamy porridge recipe is made with fluffy quinoa, oats, coconut milk, and a touch of vanilla and maple syrup. Top with your favorite fruits and nuts for a wholesome and healthy breakfast recipe.
Quinoa? For breakfast? You read that right! This healthy grain is most common in savory dishes but we’re taking it to the sweet side with this easy vegan porridge recipe.
What’s best about this quinoa porridge is it’s so delicious and just so happens to be vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free too.
Ingredients in quinoa porridge
While quinoa is the star, this recipe uses a quinoa and oat blend for a more textural base.
Canned coconut milk is used for the liquid and it’s sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with vanilla extract.
Once the porridge is done cooking, you can top with any toppings you’d like! Fresh fruit, chopped nuts, a glob of honey (if not vegan).
How to make quinoa porridge
Start by generously rinsing the uncooked quinoa. I used tri-color quinoa but regular quinoa will do too. Rinsing quinoa is an important step because it washes away the natural coating which can make quinoa bitter in taste.
Cook the quinoa for 15 minutes then add the remaining ingredients. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
You’re then left with a fluffy, creamy, and slightly sweet quinoa porridge.
Different between oatmeal and porridge:
Oatmeal is a kind of porridge. But not all porridge is oatmeal. Confusing right? Porridge is basically the term for a hot cereal that can be made from a number of different grains.
Oats are a type of grain and they are what make oatmeal.
Toppings for quinoa porridge
This is where you can get creative and customize your porridge. Don’t hold back as this will take your breakfast to the next level!
- Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
- Pomegranate arils
- Nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
- Shredded coconut
- Hemp seeds
- Peanut butter (almond butter, cashew butter, etc)
- Honey (if not vegan) or extra maple syrup
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
How long does porridge last?
Porridge lasts about 5 days in the fridge. That means you can make a big batch and have the leftovers all throughout the week. Simply reheat on the stove or in the microwave then top with all your favorite toppings.
Note: When reheating porridge, you may need a splash of non-dairy milk or water to soften it up.
If you tried this vegan quinoa porridge, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Quinoa Porridge
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk see notes for substitutes
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup can substitute with honey if non-vegan
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Toppings (all optional):
- fresh fruit (bananas or berries are my favorites)
- nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
- peanut butter (can also use almond butter or cashew butter)
- shredded coconut
- chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Bring water to boil in small saucepan.
- Add rinsed quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low/medium. Let cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in remaining ingredients. Cover again and let cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve warm and top with toppings of your choice. You can add a splash of milk to make it more liquidy if desired.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!