If there’s one match made in heaven it’s nuts and chocolate- the flavors just mesh so well together. That’s why I had to create a healthier vegan Nutella recipe on my own. I’m sure by now most of you have consumed Nutella. This common French delicacy swept my heart away and I can’t get enough of this chocolate hazelnut spread. I remember the first time I had it was in French class in 6th grade. Our teacher served Nutella with baguettes and it was the highlight of my day – lets be real – the highlight of my middle school career. It’s great on toast, in baked goods, or straight from the jar. Have you ever actually taken a look at the ingredients though? Let me break it down for you. The first ingredient is sugar! Followed by vegetable oil! Not even chocolate or hazelnuts. Next listed are some hazelnuts, cocoa solids, followed by milk solids, soy lecithin, and vanilla. I mean kudos for being able to pronounce all the ingredients but damn Nutella, you need some improvement in the ingredient department. Behold the ultimate homemade Nutella recipe! This spread is not only vegan but the top ingredients are chocolate and hazelnuts – as it should be! This vegan recipe goes great with your favorite breakfast recipe or eat is as a vegan snack. Let’s eat some chocolate my friends!
First off – toasted hazelnuts are on a whole ‘nother level. When they are toasted, the flavors are intensified and so freaking delicious. After the hazelnuts are toasted the outer skin peels off. It’s easy to remove by rolling them on a hard surface (see picture above).
When testing this recipe I left the spoon in my blender and when I turned it on, the spoon ricocheted out of the side and chocolate went e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. And I mean everywhere. I don’t think I’ve ever made a bigger mess in my entire life. I feel like I’m just prone to accidents like this. On a brighter note – I was left with a solid recipe that I have to share with you all today. Just make sure when you try it, all utensils are OUT of the blender before you turn it on 🙂
- ⅔ cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Set a double boiler on stovetop or fill a pot about an inch high with water and put a small pot inside. Place on high heat.
- Toast hazelnuts for 8 minutes until skins are darkened and flaky
- Remove from oven and let cool
- In doubler boiler or pot, add chocolate, coconut oil, and salt. Mix continuously until chocolate and coconut oil is completely melted. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Remove skins on hazelnuts by rolling them around on a flat surface. Add to blender
- Add melted chocolate to blender with hazelnuts.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Keep leftovers in fridge. Microwave for 10-15 seconds before use and stir well. It will harden in the fridge.
There you have it! A vegan and healthy copycat of Nutella, this beloved breakfast staple. If you try this vegan Nutella recipe, remember to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado! I’d love to see what you use Nutella for!