Brace yourselves – there’s a chocolate hazelnut spread in town that goes by the name of Nutella. This easy homemade Nutella recipe is vegan and only requires 5 ingredients. Spread it on toast, overnight oats, or eat straight from the jar!
If there’s one match made in heaven it’s nuts and chocolate- the flavors just mesh so well together.
That’s why I had to create a healthier vegan Nutella recipe on my own. This common French delicacy swept my heart away and I can’t get enough of this chocolate hazelnut spread.
Behold the ultimate homemade Nutella recipe! This vegan recipe goes great with your favorite breakfast recipe or a component for a vegan snack.
Let’s eat some chocolate, my friends!
Ingredients for homemade Nutella recipe
Have you ever actually taken a look at the ingredients on a jar of Nutella?
Let me break it down for you. The first ingredient is sugar!
Followed by vegetable oil! Not even chocolate or hazelnuts.
Next listed are some hazelnuts, cocoa solids, followed by milk solids, soy lecithin, and vanilla.
I mean kudos for being able to pronounce all the ingredients but damn Nutella, you need some improvement in the ingredient department.
In this recipe there are only 5 ingredients:
- Chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
How to make homemade Nutella
Start out by toasting the hazelnuts (or filberts). When they are toasted, the flavors are intensified and so freaking delicious. After the hazelnuts are toasted the outer skin peels off. It’s easy to remove by rolling them on a hard surface (see picture above).
Melt chocolate chips, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt using a double boiler or my preferred method, a glass bowl over a small amount of boiling water in a pot. Stir constantly until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
Add toasted hazelnuts and chocolate to a food processor and process until completely smooth.
This step will take a minute or two to get the hazelnuts blended.
How to store homemade Nutella
Nutella will keep in a cool, dry place for 1-2 weeks. To prolong the shelf life of homemade Nutella, keep in the fridge.
When kept in the fridge, the Nutella may harden so you will need to heat up for a few seconds and stir.
If you tried this vegan homemade Nutella recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Toast hazelnuts for 8 minutes until skins are darkened and flaky.
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Remove skins on hazelnuts by rolling them around on a flat surface. Add to the food processor
- Set a double boiler on the stovetop or fill a pot about an inch high with water and put a small pot inside. Place on medium heat.
- In doubler boiler or pot, add chocolate, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt. Mix continuously until the mixture is completely melted.
- Add melted chocolate to the food processor with hazelnuts.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for about a month. Microwave for 10-15 seconds before use and stir well. It will harden in the fridge.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!