Chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas… need I say more? This healthy vegan smoothie only requires 5 ingredients and is perfect for breakfast or a mid-day snack. Get your blender and whip together this chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie!
I’m typically a team green smoothie kinda gal, but this my friends is a smoothie made for champions.
It’s almost wrong to call this recipe a smoothie. It’s more like a decadent milkshake. It’s thick, creamy, and has a rich chocolatey peanut butter flavor. But it’s far from a milkshake because it’s completely vegan, there’s no added sugar, and it’s loaded with healthy ingredients.
Sound too good to be true? I’m here to tell you it’s very true. And very delicious.
Ingredients for a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie:
So in addition to the obvious, chocolate, pb, and banana, this recipe calls for oats and almond milk.
- I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk but any plant-based milk will do
- Oats are a cheap ingredient that adds a little more oomph to a smoothie. It makes it more filling and wholesome.
Now I don’t think you need me explaining to you how to make a smoothie. Simply just throw all the ingredients in a blender and blend away.
BUT the key to making this smoothie recipe so thick, creamy, and milkshake-like is using frozen bananas.
When I have bananas that are going bad, I slice ’em up and put them in the freezer. That way I’m not wasting food and I always have a healthy smoothie base on hand. It’s really a win-win.
Ways to customize this smoothie recipe:
I’m a huge advocate for making a smoothie recipe into your own. Here’s some ideas to customize this smoothie to your liking:
- Not a fan of banana? Try substitute with 1/2 an avocado for a smoothie recipe without banana
- Instead of using cocoa powder, use your favorite chocolate vegan protein powder. I’m a fan of Vega protein and the chocolate flavor is out of this world.
- Add chia seeds, flax seeds, or hemp seeds for a protein health booster
- Add maple syrup, agave, or honey for a healthy sweetener
- Substitute peanut butter with almond or cashew butter
- Instead of almond milk, try using coconut, rice, cashew, soy, or hemp milk
- You can even substitute almond milk for cold brew coffee!
- Add yogurt for a protein boost (you can use a vegan yogurt to keep this recipe 100% plant-based)
- This smoothie is thickkkk but you can use less milk than the recipe calls for and make this into a smoothie bowl. Top with fresh banana slices, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and homemade granola
If you tried this vegan chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana SmoothiePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and drink immediately.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!