Chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas… need I say more? This healthy vegan smoothie only requires 5 ingredients and is perfect for breakfast, a mid-day snack, or even as a healthy dessert. Get your blender and whip together this thick and creamy chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie in a snap!
I’m typically a team green smoothie kinda gal, but this my friends is a smoothie made for champions.
It’s almost wrong to call this recipe a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie. It’s more like a decadent milkshake. It’s thick, creamy, and has a rich chocolatey peanut butter flavor. But it’s far from a milkshake because it’s completely vegan, there’s no added sugar, and it’s loaded with healthy ingredients.
Sound too good to be true? I’m here to tell you it’s very true. And very delicious.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA SMOOTHIE
So in addition to the obvious, chocolate, pb, and banana, this 5 ingredient vegan recipe calls for oats and almond milk.
- I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk but any plant-based milk will do. Try this vegan smoothie recipe with cashew milk, oat milk, or your favorite dairy substitute.
- Why add oats to a vegan smoothie? Oats are a cheap ingredient that adds a little more oomph to a smoothie. They make these creamy drinks even more filling and wholesome, perfect for breakfast or a satisfying snack.
- The more ripe your banana is, the sweeter your smoothie will be. Bananas sweeten as they brown, so use just-ripe bright yellow bananas for a slightly less sweet smoothie.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA SMOOTHIE RECIPE
Now I don’t think you need me explaining to you how to make a smoothie… Simply throw all the ingredients in a blender and blend away. Drink immediately.
BUT the key to making the thickest, creamiest, and most milkshake-like smoothies is to use frozen bananas.
HOW TO FREEZE BANANAS TO MAKE THICK AND CREAMY VEGAN SMOOTHIES
When I have bananas that are going bad, I slice ’em up and put them in the freezer. That way I’m not wasting food and I always have a healthy smoothie base on hand. It’s really a win-win.
To flash freeze bananas, first slice them and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then put the baking sheet in the freezer for about 1 hour, until the banana slices are hard.
Transfer the frozen bananas to freezer safe bags, and keep in the freezer for up to 4 months.
WAYS TO CUSTOMIZE THIS VEGAN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
I’m a huge advocate for making a smoothie recipe into your own. Here’s some ideas to customize this sweet vegan smoothie to your liking:
- Want a creamy vegan smoothie with no banana? Substitute the banana with 1/2 an avocado for a smoothie recipe without banana.
- Instead of using cocoa powder, use your favorite chocolate vegan protein powder. I’m a fan of Vega protein and the chocolate flavor is out of this world.
- Add chia seeds, flax seeds, or hemp seeds for a protein healthy booster. Grind the seeds before blending for a smooth texture.
- Add maple syrup, agave, or honey for a healthy sweetener.
- Substitute peanut butter with your favorite alternative nut butter. Almond or cashew butter are both delicious!
- Instead of almond milk, try using another dairy-free plant-based milk like coconut, rice, cashew, soy, or hemp milk.
- You can even substitute almond milk for cold brew coffee!
- Add yogurt for a protein boost (you can use a vegan yogurt to keep this recipe 100% plant-based).
- This smoothie is thickkkk but you can use less milk than the recipe calls for and make it into a smoothie bowl. Top your chocolate peanut butter and banana smoothie bowl with fresh banana slices, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and homemade granola. Yum!
- The recipe below is to prepare 1 smoothie, roughly 10-12 ounces. Feel free to cut the ingredients proportions in half for a smaller serving, or double for 2 servings.
If you tried this vegan chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
If you like this vegan smoothie recipe, you might like some of my other smoothie recipes:
- Green Mango Superfood Smoothie
- Blueberry Acai Smoothie
- Kale Pineapple Smoothie
- Immune Boosting Orange Smoothie
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 frozen banana cut into slices
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder can substitute with 1 scoop of chocolate vegan protein powder. See notes.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup optional
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and drink immediately.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!