Only four ingredients are required to make this delicious chocolate cherry smoothie. Protein powder, banana, cherries, and almond milk are blended together to make this healthy yet delectable cherry smoothie recipe!
Brace yourself – because chocolate and cherry combined in a smoothie is magical.
You might be addicted to this smoothie from here on out. That’s okay because I am too.
After obsessing over a chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie, it’s no wonder I’m a big fan of chocolate in a smoothie.
What makes this cherry smoothie recipe so great?
- Chocolate protein powder – makes the smoothie more filling
- Frozen banana – makes the smoothie more creamy
- Frozen cherries – makes the smoothie beyond flavorful
- Almond milk – brings all the ingredients together in a plant-based way
Ingredients in a chocolate cherry smoothie
- Chocolate protein powder (Vega is my favorite brand, but any vegan chocolate protein powder will work)
- Almond milk (any plant-based milk will do. cashew, oat, soy, etc)
- Frozen banana
- Frozen cherries
Note: If you do not want to add protein powder to this smoothie recipe but still want a chocolate flavor, you can substitute with 1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder and 1 Tablespoon of sweetener such as maple syrup or agave.
How to make a cherry smoothie
Simply add all the ingredients to a high power blender and blend until smooth.
Why use frozen fruit in a smoothie?
Frozen fruit makes a smoothie much thicker than if you were to use room temperate fruit. Whenever I have fruits or veggies that are about to go bad, I put them in the freezer for later smoothie use!
How to pit a cherry
If you buy frozen cherries, they are already pitted for you. However, if you buy fresh. cherries and freeze them yourself, you will want to remove the pit first.
Now you can go out and get yourself a cherry pitter, or carefully cut them out with a pairing knife.
Oh hello, pinkish-red hue! The color alone of this cherry smoothie is intoxicating.
Add-In Ideas for a Cherry Smoothie
- Greens (like spinach or kale) are a great addition to this smoothie
- Oats – if you skimp on the protein powder, try adding 1/3 cup of oats to give this smoothie recipe some protein
- Agave or maple syrup if you like your smoothies a little sweeter
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
What are some health benefits of cherries?
Not only do cherries taste amazing, but they also pack some serious health benefits too. Some include:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Boost exercise recovery
- Heart health
- Arthritis pain relief
- Sleep quality
If you tried this vegan cherry smoothie recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- 1 cup almond milk can substitute with any plant-based milk
- 1 small banana frozen
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder see notes for substitution
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend well. Enjoy immediately!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!