Slightly crunchy, terrifically tender vegan bbq cauliflower wings are bursting with bold, smoky-sweet flavor. This easy recipe features roasted cauliflower florets tossed in your favorite bbq sauce for a wonderfully simple and delicious appetizer, snack, or main dish.
Crispy, savory and sweet bbq cauliflower wings are a healthier – and, IMO – much tastier plant-based alternative to traditional bbq chicken wings. They are perfect for dunking in creamy (vegan!) ranch dressing and enjoying as a snack or fun dinner with your favorite sides.
What makes this recipe amazing? These vegan bbq wings have a great crunchy exterior and tender, toothsome interior, but are made with yummy fresh cauliflower florets. I promise even your non-vegan buddies will be believers in the magic of cauliflower once you serve these up at your next get together!
Ingredients You Need to Make Vegan BBQ Cauliflower Wings
- All-purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Unsweetened almond milk
- BBQ sauce
A simple substitute to make this a totally gluten-free vegan bbq wing recipe is to swap all-purpose flour with your favorite gf mix. I recommend a blend with rice flour for the best, crispiest coating. Just be sure to also use a gluten-free barbecue sauce, too!
How to Make the Best BBQ Cauliflower Wings From Scratch
First, prepare the head of cauliflower by washing, drying, and cutting into florets.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, seasonings, and almond milk. The batter should be very smooth and thick, like cake batter.
Next, add the cauliflower florets to the bowl. Use a set of tongs or spatula to toss the cauliflower and evenly coat all of the pieces. Carefully remove the florets and place on the wire rack, letting the excess batter drip onto the parchment paper below. Then discard the paper, grease the baking sheet, and place the coated cauliflower on the sheet.
Bake the cauliflower florets for about 20 minutes, until slightly browned. Remove the pan from the oven, and baste each piece of cauliflower with a bit of the barbecue sauce. Place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
Once the cauliflower is done, remove the baking sheet and coat the florets evenly with the remaining bbq sauce while hot.
Serve bbq cauliflower wings with extra barbecue sauce on the side, homemade vegan ranch or your favorite dippings sauces. Similar to buffalo wings, you can enjoy with freshly cut carrots and/or celery sticks for extra crunch.
How to Store Leftover Vegan BBQ Cauliflower Wings
Transfer cooled bbq wings to a sealed container, and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. For the best texture I recommend that you reheat in a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until warm.
If you tried this vegan BBQ cauliflower wings recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
If You Like This Vegan Snack Recipe You’ll Love:
- Huli Huli Cauliflower Bites
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
- Jackfruit “Crab” Cakes with Vegan Tartar Sauce
- Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
- Buffalo Chickpea Wraps
Vegan BBQ Cauliflower Wings
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 cup all-purpose flour can substitute with white rice flour to make GF
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1+1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4-1 cup BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and top with a cooling rack. Set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower: Remove the green leaves from the bottom and trim the stump. Turn the cauliflower right-side-up and cut into quarters. From each quarter, trim the center by making a cut diagonally. Using hands, break cauliflower into florets.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and almond milk. Whisk until smooth. The mixture should be thick and pourable like a cake batter.
- Add cauliflower florets to the mixing bowl and using tongs or rubber spatula, coat evenly. Place cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and allow the excess batter to drip from the cooling rack to the parchment paper.
- Discard the parchment paper and grease the baking sheet. Transfer the cauliflower from the cooling rack to the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- When cauliflower is done baking, remove from the oven and brush each piece with BBQ sauce.
- Bake cauliflower for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and coat with remaining BBQ.
- Serve with vegan ranch.
- Serve with vegan ranch. Leftovers keep for about 5 days. To reheat, bake at 300 for 15 minutes.
- To make gluten-free, substitute all-purpose four with rice flour.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!