No vegan holiday feast would be complete without a savory, rich gravy on the table. My meatless version has just as much flavor as classic brown gravy, but is made with simple plant based ingredients. Try this satisfying vegetarian and vegan-friendly recipe for Thanksgiving and it’s sure to become your favorite go-to gravy anytime of the year!
No holiday dinner is complete without a big, lovely bowl of rich and savory gravy on the table. And your meatless feast is no exception!
This foolproof vegan brown gravy only takes a few minutes to make with simple ingredients. The result is a thick and rich, wonderfully flavorful gravy that just begs to be poured onto fluffy mashed potatoes and more.
Give it a try for Thanksgiving or your next holiday dinner, and I guarantee you’ll wind up making this tasty gravy to enjoy on dishes all year long!
Ingredients for the Best Vegan Gravy Recipe
Just a handful of vegan pantry staples makes the easiest and most delicious meat-free gravy from scratch.
- Vegan butter
- All-purpose flour
- Vegetable broth
- Liquid aminos
- Worcestershire sauce
- Poultry seasoning
I also like to include a bit of fresh chopped rosemary when ready to serve. It really adds a pop of holiday flavor!
…And no, poultry seasoning does not include any actual animal products. 🙂
How to Make Homemade Vegan Gravy
This savory meatless gravy is made in just three simple steps. In one pan!
Here’s how to make my marvelous meat-free gravy in only 15 minutes:
- First, melt plant-based butter in a small saucepan over low heat, and whisk in flour until combined.
- As you continue whisking, slowly pour in the vegetable broth.
- Then add remaining ingredients and continue to whisk until a perfectly thick, luscious gravy is formed.
It should take about 10 minutes for the gravy to properly thicken while on low heat.
Transfer the gravy to a serving bowl and use immediately while warm.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in a microwave for short bursts or on the stovetop in a saucepan, stirring frequently. You can add a splash of vegetable broth if the gravy has thickened up a bit too much.
How can I make my brown gravy thicker?
If after cooking and whisking for at least 10 minutes you’re still not quite happy with the consistency, you can thicken the gravy with a bit more flour. The best way to do this is to add 1-2 teaspoons of flour to 2-4 teaspoons of cold vegetable broth in a small bowl, and whisk until smooth. Then slowly whisk this roux into the gravy as it continues cooking on low heat. The vegan gravy should thicken up within a couple of minutes.
What if my gravy is too thick?
To thin out a vegan brown gravy that’s thickened too much, simply whisk in a bit more vegetable broth. You want to do this slowly, so only add about a tablespoon of broth at a time until the thickness is just right.
How can I make gluten-free vegan gravy?
It’s super easy to make delicious, gluten-free brown gravy without all-purpose flour! Simply swap conventional flour with your favorite gf-friendly substitute, like arrowroot or rice flour.
You also can make savory vegan gravy using gluten-free cornstarch. For this version, you want to whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into 1/4 cup of cold vegetable broth until the cornstarch is dissolved. Then heat the remaining broth in a saucepan on low until gently simmering, and slowly whisk in the cornstarch roux. Next, add the remaining liquid aminos, Worcestershire sauce, and poultry seasoning. The gravy will thicken as you continue whisking. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes until you’ve got the right consistency.
What do you serve with savory vegan gravy?
Of course, what’s even the point of a great gravy recipe unless you’ve got a fabulous mashed potatoes recipe, amirite? You’ve got to make the Ultimate Vegan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes for your vegan holiday celebrations!
If you tried this vegan gravy recipe let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
More Vegan Holiday Recipes You’ll Love:
- Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad
- Kale Apple Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Lemon Dill Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
- Vegan Mini Pumpkin Pies with Graham Cracker Crust
- MORE Holiday Recipes from Mindful Avocado
Vegan GravyPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter I like Earth Balance or Country Crock Plant Butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour can use a GF flour like brown rice flour or a 1-1 blend to make the gravy gluten-free
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon liquid aminos can substititue with soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestshire sauce make sure you use a vegan brand (I like Annie's)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt vegan butter. Add flour and whick until combined.
- Slowly pour the vegetable broth into the saucepan as you whisk the gravy.
- Add liquid aminos, Worcestershire sauce, and poultry seasoning. Whisk consistently until gravy has thickened (about 10 minutes).
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!