When twice baked potatoes and sweet potato casserole have a baby, this delicious recipe is made. Sweet potato mash with a maple pecan crumble is guaranteed to make you drool.
Is anyone a fan of the traditional sweet potato casserole with marshmallows or do you think it’s plain weird? Because I think it’s kinda gross. Like marshmallows have two places in this world, in my hot chocolate or on a s’more. This twice baked sweet potato casserole with pecans recipe is so delicious, yet does not call for a single marshmallow. This vegan and gluten-free side dish recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or potlucks. It’s even better that they are single serving, so you have room for all the other fixings. I’ve even been guilty of eating them for dessert – because they are just that decadent. If you are in search of a plant-based side dish, or healthy dessert recipe look no further.
What is a twice baked potato?
Exactly how it sounds – a potato baked twice. In the first step you bake the sweet potato until fully cooked and remove from the oven. Then you carefully scoop out the cooked sweet potato and mix it with almond milk, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. Once all the ingredients are fully mixed, you add it back into the potato skin and bake for a little longer.
Top this maple pecan crumble on top of the potatoes before baking a second time. This is what takes the sweet potato casserole to the next level!
Is a sweet potato a vegetable or a carb?
Technically both. Sweet potatoes are higher in carbohydrates than other vegetables, but they are nutrient dense like a vegetable and a great source of fiber. They also have a lower glycemic index than a white potato so they can regulate your blood sugar. Eating a sweet potato for dessert is a way healthier option than say a slice of cake. Plus this healthy sweet potato casserole recipe is made with all vegan and gluten free ingredients so it will lighten up the holiday food menu and be an all around crowd pleaser.
If you tried this twice baked sweet potato casserole recipe let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Twice Baked Sweet Potato CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 3 Tablespoons almond flour (can substitute with all purpose flour)
- 1 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Scrub sweet potatoes and poke holes in skin using a fork
- Cut sweet potatoes in halt length wise and place in 13x9 inch baking dish
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until sweet potatoes are fully cooked. You can tell when they are completely cooked when a fork can go through the center with ease.
- Remove from oven and let cool
- In a small mixing bowl, add all ingredients for the filling and mix well. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are cool to handle, scoop out insides with spoon and place in medium sized mixing bowl. Add all ingredients for filling and use a potato masher to combine all the ingredients.
- Scoop filling back into potato skins. Top with pecan crumble.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until warm throughout
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission so thank you for your support!