GUYS. This roasted garlic mashed potatoes recipe is the comfort food of all comfort foods. Buttery, creamy, chunky, flavorful, and vegan. Say whaaaa. It’s okay, I’ll give you a minute to take all that in.
Let me start by saying I’m not a picky eater. like at all. However, I’m very particular about my mashed potatoes. Some people obsess over potatoes and will take them any way. Not this girl. First mashed potatoes have to be chunky. I can’t deal with perfectly smooth mashed potatoes. It’s like eating baby food. Second, the skin needs to be on the potatoes. I think it’s a texture thing, but it really takes mashed potatoes to the next level for me. Lastly, please do not skimp on the butter. Mashed potatoes is one of those recipes I make on special occasions, not on the regular, so when I eat them I’m not looking to cut corners. I want that full comfort food experience. No one wants dry mashed potatoes. I think we can all agree on that right?
This roasted garlic mashed potatoes recipe is my rendition of the perfect kind of mashed potatoes (in my option) sans all the dairy. There’s still butter, but vegan butter. Instead of heavy cream, this vegan mashed potatoes recipe calls for almond or soy milk. Even without trying to sacrifice flavor, these mashed potatoes are naturally healthier. I’ll take it!
Remember when I showed you how to roast garlic? You can use that technique to roast the garlic and incorporate into these mashed potatoes. Roasted garlic is one of those things that just makes basic food taste not-so-basic (aka mashed potatoes).
The Ultimate Roasted Garlic Vegan Mashed PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 8 small-medium sized red potatoes cut in quarter inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (can substitute with regular butter if not vegan)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk (can substitute with cow's milk if not vegan)
- 2 heads roasted garlic about 3 Tablespoons
- Scrub potatoes until cool water and peel off some of the potato skin. How much you peel off is up to you! Cut potatoes in quarter inch cubes.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water, 1 teaspoon salt, and potatoes to a boil
- Put lid on and reduce heat. Let cook for 20 minutes. When potatoes are cooked, you should be able to pierce them with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to large mixing bowl
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, 1 Tablespoon minced chives, rosemary, butter, milk, and roasted garlic
- Using a potato masher or backside of fork, mash potatoes to desired consistency. If you like your mashed potatoes on the chunkier side, make sure not to over mash
- Add remaining chives to top and serve immediately
For vegan butter, I use Earth Balance which tastes like the real deal! Since I’m vegetarian and not 100% vegan, if I buy regular butter, I always get Horizon. It’s organic and made from grass fed cows.
Are you ready to try these crowd pleaser vegan roasted garlic mashed potatoes for your next meal? Let me know in the comments below!