This shaved brussel sprout salad with fresh apples, pecans, and a sweet and tangy dressing is a perfectly healthy and delicious fall dish. Plus, there is no cooking required so it’s as easy to prepare as it is tasty to enjoy!
I’ve always been a brussel sprouts fan – even as a kid (I know, weird right?)
But let me tell you, shaved brussel sprouts makes this Autumn vegetable so much more palatable. If you ever wondered what you can do with raw brussel sprouts, a shaved salad is the answer!
Shaving brussel sprouts and marinating them in tangy dressing makes them the opposite of soggy like most lettuce or greens. It makes them softer and less bitter.
That leads me to this delicious shaved brussel sprout salad: it’s an easy recipe made with just chopped pecans, apples, and a simple homemade vinaigrette.
Ingredients for shaved brussel sprout salad
This simple and healthful salad recipe includes a great combination of fresh ingredients and your favorite pantry staples.
Here is everything needed to make the best raw salad with brussel sprouts and a flavorful dressing:
- Fresh brussel sprouts
- Apples – I used gala but honeycrisp apples would taste great in this salad too!
- Pecans – Chopped walnuts or hazelnuts are a great substitute as well.
- Dressing – a combination of olive oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper.
How to make vegan salad dressing
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl or mason jar, and whisk well (or cover and shake the jar) until the oil is emulsified with the vinegar. If you want to make this vinaigrette recipe vegan, simply substitute the honey with a different liquid sweetener such as maple syrup.
How do you shred brussel sprouts?
Most food processors come with a shaving disc. This sits on top of the container and you feed the food in while the processor is running (similar to a juicer). I hardly used the shaving disc to my food processor up until a few months ago, but I discovered that it works great for making this salad.
No food processor?
You can use a regular cheese grater to get the job done. Just hold onto the brussel sprout by the hard stem and carefully grate in a swift downward motion.
Is it safe to eat raw brussel sprouts?
Yes, however, they are much more palatable when sliced finely or shaved. A raw brussel sprout in its natural state is very tough, bitter, and hard to digest. But once you cut them and they’re marinated in an acidic vinaigrette, the leaves become wonderfully tender and super tasty!
How to make shaved brussel sprout salad
It’s easy to make the refreshing and flavorful salad in only 3 steps:
- First, shave the brussel sprouts and add along with apples and pecans to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in half of the dressing, and let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
- Top with more dressing if desired before serving.
How long will a shaved brussel sprouts salad keep well?
This salad will keep in the fridge for about 3 days. Unlike traditional salads, a shaved brussel sprout salad does not get soggy with the dressing mixed in!
Ways to customize this shaved brussel sprout salad
This simple salad recipe is a nice base to add some other ingredients to it. Here are some ideas of extra goodies you can include to give this salad a little more pizazz:
- Fresh pomegranate arils
- Craisins (dried cranberries) or raisins
- Freshly shaved parmesan (if not vegan)
- Goat cheese (again, omit if vegan)
- Shaved kale
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
If you tried this shaved brussel sprouts salad recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Other easy recipes you’ll love:
- Kale Apple Salad
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Rosemary Biscuits
- Vegan Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Lemon Dill Roasted Potatoes
Shaved Brussel Sprouts SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- food processor
- 4 cups shaved brussel sprouts
- 1 medium apple chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey can substitute with maple syrup or agave if vegan
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl or mason jar, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Shave the brussel sprouts using the shredding disc on a food processor. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped apples and pecans. Pour half the dressing on top and mix well.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 mins to chill.
- To serve, pour remaining dressing on top and mix well.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!