Shaved brussel sprouts with fresh apples, pecans, and a sweet and tangy dressing, this Fall salad recipe is the perfect healthy side dish.
I’ve always been a brussel sprouts fan – even as a kid (I know, weird right?)
But let me tell you, shaved brussel sprouts makes this Autumn vegetable so much more palatable. If you ever wondered what you can do with raw brussel sprouts, a shaved salad is the answer!
Shaving brussel sprouts and marinating them in dressing makes them the opposite of soggy like most lettuce or greens. It makes them softer and less bitter.
That leads me to this delicious shaved brussel sprouts salad. An easy recipe with just chopped pecans, apples, and a simple homemade dressing.
Ingredients for shaved brussel sprouts salad
- Fresh brussel sprouts
- Apples – I used gala but honeycrisp apples would taste great in this salad too!
- Pecans – Chopped walnuts or hazelnuts are a great substitute as well.
- Dressing – a combination of olive oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper.
How to make dressing
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl or mason jar and whisk well until the oil is emulsified with the vinegar. If you want to make this recipe vegan, substitute the honey with a different sweetener such as maple syrup.
How do you shave brussel sprouts
Most food processors come with a shaving disc. This sits on top of the container and you feed the food in while the processor is running (similar to a juicer)
I hardly used the shaving disc to my food processor up until a few months ago. It works great in making this salad.
No food processor?
You can use a regular cheese grater to get the job done.
How to make shaved brussel sprout salad
- Add shaved brussel sprouts, apples, and pecans to a mixing bowl. Stir in half of the dressing and let sit in the fridge for at least 30 mintues.
- Before serving, top with more dressing if desired.
How long will a shaved brussel sprouts salad keep?
This salad will keep in the fridge for about 3 days. Unlike traditional salads, a shaved brussel sprout salad does not get soggy with the dressing mixed in!
Ways to customize this shaved brussel sprout salad
This simple salad recipe is a nice base to add some other ingredients to it. Here are some ideas to give this salad a little more pizazz:
- Fresh pomegranate arils
- Freshly shaved parmesan (if not vegan)
- Goat cheese (again, omit if vegan)
- Shaved kale
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
If you tried this shaved brussel sprouts salad recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Shaved Brussel Sprouts SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 cups shaved brussel sprouts
- 1 medium apple chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey can substitute with maple syrup or agave if vegan
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl or mason jar, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Shave the brussel sprouts using the shredding disc on a food processor. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped apples and pecans. Pour half the dressing on top and mix well.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 mins to chill.
- To serve, pour remaining dressing on top and mix well.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!