Nothing beats a bowl of noodles enrobed with a cauliflower cashew “cheesy” sauce. This vegan mac and cheese recipe is the definition of comfort! Topped with toasted breadcrumbs, it’s NEXT LEVEL!
Okay, I’ll give you a minute.
To soak this recipe in.
VEGAN mac and cheese! It’s quite a challenge. To make a dish that relies solely on dairy to give it all the flavor. But alas, a cheesy dish without the cheese!
What gives this vegan mac and cheese recipe a cheesy taste?
Well, a few ingredients, but cauliflower and cashews give it a good base.
Ingredients for vegan mac and cheese
- Vegan butter (I like Earth Balance)
- Nutritional yeast
- Almond milk
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
How to make vegan cheese for mac and cheese
- Start by melting the butter in a pan and adding the nutritional yeast and seasonings
- Add the almond milk and bring it to a gentle simmer
- Add the cauliflower and cashews and simmer for about 20 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a high power blender and blend until super smooth
How to make this vegan mac and cheese recipe
Now that the cheese sauce is made, it’s time to combine it with some noodles!
- Cook your noodles according to the package (I like macaroni or mini shells for mac and cheese).
- Drain the noodles and transfer them to a big bowl. Add the cheese sauce and give it a good stir.
How to make toasted breadcrumbs
- Melt butter in a pan over low-medium heat
- Add breadcrumbs and toast until golden brown (5-7 minutes) stirring frequently
Add-ins for Vegan Mac and Cheese
Don’t get me wrong, mac and cheese is pretty magical on it’s own. However, you can really take your mac and cheese to the next level by adding some ingredients!
- Steamed broccoli (highly recommend)
- Cooked and chopped asparagus
- Diced green chilis (highly recommend)
- Pickled jalapenos
- Hot sauce! (Tabasco, Frank’s red hot, or even Sriracha are all solid options)
Can vegan mac and cheese be made gluten-free?
YUP! One of my favorite pasta is actually Banza chickpea pasta. Just use this instead of regular pasta to make this recipe GF
You can also use gluten-free breadcrumbs instead of panko.
This vegan mac and cheese recipe is so easy to make and the BEST substitute for the real deal! Don’t take it from me, try it for yourself! 😉
If you tried this vegan mac and cheese recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces uncooked pasta I like elbow macaroni or shells; can substitute with a GF brand
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs can substitute with a GF brand
To Make Cheese Sauce:
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add nutritional yeast, garlic, paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir until seasonings are well mixed and fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Pour in almond milk and dijon mustard, Scraping bottom of the pan for any brown bits stuck. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add cauliflower and cashews and simmer for 20 mins.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
To Make Pasta:
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of cooking water. Set the cooking water aside.
- Place cooked pasta in the pot the sauce was made in over low-medium heat. Pour cheese sauce on top and mix until well combined. Use the reserved cooking water to thin out the sauce if needed.
To Make Breadcrumbs:
- In a small nonstick pan, melt 2 Tablespoons butter.
- Add breadcrumbs and cook until toasted and golden brown (about 5-7 minutes).
- Place mac and cheese in a bowl. Top with toasted breadcrumbs and enjoy!
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for about a week.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!