This delightful vegan Swiss chard and wild mushroom galette is like a rustic pie brimming with savory sauteed veggies. It features a simple plant-based homemade dough, and is filled with a delicious blend of chard, mushrooms, onion and garlic.
What’s easier to make than a pie, and tastes better than a pie? You (might have) guessed, it’s a galette!
Get ready to fall in love with galettes. These hearty baked pastries can be made sweet or savory, with less filling than a typical deep-dish pie and a thicker, more tender crust. Plus, they are simple to prepare – even the homemade vegan crust is easy to make from scratch in a food processor!
For this vegan Swiss chard and wild mushroom galette recipe we filled our dough with chopped fresh parsley and thyme for an earthy, wonderfully savory flavor. But although it’s incredibly satisfying and filling, the veggies and meatless goodness keeps the dish feeling light and perky.
Make this fun, fabulous galette as part of your meatless brunch or dinner plans!
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN SWISS CHARD AND WILD MUSHROOM GALETTE
To make the herbaceous vegan crust you need:
- All-purpose flour
- Cane sugar
- Parsley leaves
- Fresh thyme
- Vegan butter or coconut oil
For the savory filling:
- Vegan butter – we like Earth Balance, Miyokos, or Country Crock Plant Butter
- Garlic cloves
- Mushrooms – in this recipe we use a combo of shitake and hedgehog mushrooms, but feel free to use oyster, baby bella, or any mushrooms you prefer
- Swiss chard
- Salt and pepper
Plus you’ll need breadcrumbs for assembling the galette.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN GALETTE CRUST FROM SCRATCH
Before you start, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Then place a cup of ice cubes and water in the fridge… The ice water will be used to create the perfect galette crust texture, no dairy needed!
Follow these easy steps to make the plant-based galette dough:
- In a food processor add flour, sugar, salt, fresh parsley and thyme. Pulse for a moment to combine.
- Next, add chunks of vegan butter to the processor.
- Pulse until the butter and dry ingredients combine to form pea-sized granules of butter.
- Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse. After about 5 tablespoons of water and pulsing you should have a firm, non-sticky dough. If the dough becomes a bit too sticky, lightly sprinkle in some flour and pulse again.
Use a rubber spatula to gather and transfer the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Tightly wrap the galette dough in the plastic, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
HOW TO MAKE THE WILD MUSHROOM AND SWISS CHARD VEGAN GALETTE FILLING
As the dough chills in the fridge, slice the onions and mushroom, mince the garlic, and chop the rinsed and dried Swiss chard.
Sautee the veggies in plant-based butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE THE VEGAN SWISS CHARD AND WILD MUSHROOM GALETTE
Once the dough has chilled, place the unwrapped dough on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out into a large circle that is 8-10″ in diameter and 1/8″ thick. Dust the rolling pin with flour if needed as you work to keep it from sticking to the dough.
Place the galette dough on the baking sheet. Spoon some of the breadcrumbs onto the crust, leaving 1″ around the outside circumference to fold the crust. Spread the Swiss chard and wild mushroom filling within the ring of breadcrumbs. Then fold the crust in towards the center, pleating as shown in the photos. Sprinkle the edge with more breadcrumbs.
Bake the vegan galette for 30 minutes or so, until the crust becomes lightly golden.
Let cool for several minutes before cutting and serving warm.
HOW TO SERVE VEGAN SWISS CHARD AND WILD MUSHROOM GALETTE
Enjoy warm and savory mushroom and chard galette with any of your favorite plant-based sides.
STORAGE SUGGESTIONS & TIPS FOR REHEATING
Mushroom and chard galettes taste best when eaten soon after baking. They can be refrigerated, but keep in mind the chard won’t be quite as tasty when reheated. Because of the delicate veggies, I do not recommend that you freeze.
Let leftovers cool completely before putting into an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat leftovers in the oven for the best texture. Bake on a lined baking sheet for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.
If you tried this vegan Swiss chard and wild mushroom galette recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
IF YOU LIKE THIS SAVORY VEGAN RECIPE, HERE ARE MORE DELICIOUS IDEAS TO TRY:
- Leek Asparagus Vegan Quiche
- Vegan Mushroom + Tofu Burgers
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Easy Vegan Mushroom Meatballs with Tofu
- Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce
Vegan Swiss Chard and Wild Mushroom Galette
- 1+1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup vegan butter solid and cold (can substitute with cold coconut oil)
- 5-8 Tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter I like Earth Balance, Miyokos, or Country Crock Plant Butter
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced (I used a combination of shitake and hedgehog mushrooms. You can use oyster, baby bella, or any mushroom you like!)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard chopped (about 3 cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons breadcrumbs
Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Put a cup of water with ice cubes in the freezer.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, parsley, and thyme to the food processor. Pulse.
- Add solid butter and pulse until there are pea-sized pieces of butter.
- Add ice water 1 Tablespoon at a time until dough-like consistency (it took me about 5 Tablespoons).
- Using a rubber spatula, pour the dough on a sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap the dough into a ball and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Remove dough from fridge and place on a lightly floured countertop. Using a rolling pin, roll out into 1/8" thick, 8-10" diameter circle. Transfer to lined baking sheet.
Make the Filling:
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and sautee until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add Swiss chard and cook until wilted (about 3 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Spoon 1-2 Tablespoons breadcrumbs onto crust, leaving 1 inch clearance around the circumference to fold galette.
- Spread filling on top.
- Gently fold edges of pie dough towards the center around all the sides. Sprinkle edges with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!