Lentil leek soup – say that ten times fast! Lentils, leeks, mushrooms, and kale are just pure magic when unified. In addition, we have fresh rosemary and shallots! Still not convinced? This vegan soup recipe can be made with 10 ingredients and just shy of 45 minutes.
This post was originally published in February 2017. New photos, writing, and recipe have been updated.
Helloooo soup season! Is it ever not soup season though?
Soups are a great way to meal prep because you can have leftovers for days. Unlike most leftovers, soups get better a day or two later because the flavors just mend together.
This lentil leek soup is vegan, gluten-free, yet oh so comforting. See why this soup is a must-try:
- Easy to make
- Cheap ingredients
- Healthy soup recipe
- Hearty lentils to keep you full
- Savory mushrooms to add flavor and nutrients
- Leeks – because they are a soup’s BFF
- Fresh herbs and shallots to really take your soup game to the next level!
Now that I have your attention this vegan soup recipe is a must! It’s super healthy and filling, but leaves room for a little bit of bread on the side 😉 Keep reading to see how it’s done.
Ingredients for mushroom lentil leek soup
- Green or brown lentils
- Fresh herbs
- Salt and Pepper
- Plant-based milk
- Vegetable broth
What is a leek?
A leek is a vegetable that has a milder taste of an onion. Only using the white and light green part, it can be chopped up and used as a soup starter just as you would with onions.
How to cut a leek
- Chop off the dark green top and discard.
- Cut lower half into slices then chop so the pieces are the same size as chopped onions.
This video might be useful to see how to chop leeks!
How to make lentil leek soup
I like to think of soups as layers. It’s all about adding ingredients at the right time to achieve the perfect end result.
- Heat oil and saute onions and shallots
- Add garlic and leeks
- Stir in seasonings
- Add broth, lentils, and mushrooms
- Add milk and remove half of the soup. Blend in a blender until smooth
- Add blended soup back into the pot and stir in kale.
What to serve with lentil leek soup
Bread is always a good option or a simple light green salad would pair nicely.
But for real, warm crusty bread will make this one heck of a meal! If you’re feeling really fancy, make a batch of vegan rosemary biscuits. You will have no regrets.
Ways to customize lentil leek soup
- Add potatoes to hearty up this soup recipe
- Add some vegan bacon bits for a touch of umami
- Instead of kale, use swiss chard or spinach
- Add beans such as great northern beans or chickpeas
- Put in extra veggies such as carrots and celery
- Swap out green or brown lentils for red lentils!
Does this soup freeze well?
It sure does! All the ingredients in this soup are freezer-friendly. Just put leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or container and it’ll keep for up to 6 months.
If you tried this vegan lentil leek soup, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Lentil Leek Soup with Mushrooms and Kale
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 cup leeks
(about 1 leek, chopped) white and light green only
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup green or brown lentils uncooked
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups kale chopped
- fresh parsley chopped
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and shallots and cook until translucent. Stir frequently to prevent burning (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add leeks and garlic and saute until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- Add rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Add vegetable broth, lentils, and mushrooms - turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer until lentils are cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Add milk and stir. Remove half of the soup and add to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add blended soup back into pot and stir. Top with kale and cook until wilted (1-2 minutes). Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Top with fresh parsley and cracked pepper.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
Did you like this recipe? Give it a star rating below!