Mushroom lentil leek soup – say that ten times fast! I felt it was mandatory I included all these ingrdients in the title because they are all so delicious and when unified, they make one incredible soup. In addition to mushroom, lentils and leeks we have fresh rosemary and shallots! Still not convinced? Let me give you a little nutritional breakdown so you can see how nutritious (and delicious) this recipe is. Okay, that rhyme was lame – it won’t happen again.
Mushrooms: Great source of antioxidants, protein and iron.
Leeks: Good source of vitamins and minerals – particularity vitamin A and K. They also have badass anti cancer properties!
Lentils: These are a great source of lean protein and carry a great dose of calcium, potassium, zinc, and vitamin K to name a few.
Now that I have your attention (as if my awful rhyme wasn’t enough to keep you engaged) this vegan recipe is a must try. It’s super healthy and filling. Leaving room for a little bit of bread on the side 😉 Keep reading to see how it’s done.
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- ½ yellow onion - chopped
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 (16) ounce package baby bella mushrooms
- 1 shallot - minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 veggie stock cartons
- water (to thin if needed)
- Heat olive oil in soup pot on med heat
- Add onions and shallots and cook until translucent. Stir frequently to prevent burning
- Add leeks and garlic, place lid on and let cook for 2 minutes
- Add thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir
- Add vegetable broth and mushrooms - turn heat to med-high, cover and bring to boil
- Add lentils and reduce heat. Let simmer until lentils are cooked (approx. 20 minutes)
- Remove ½ cup of soup and add to blender. Blend until smooth
- Add blended soup back into pot and stir
- Top with fresh parsley, fresh parmesan cheese (if not vegan)