This hearty vegan vegetable soup recipe is super easy to prepare, and is perfect for making ahead. It’s loaded with fresh veggies and pantry staples for a comforting soup that’s simply delicious!
Warm, comforting, hearty and healthy vegan vegetable soup loaded with your favorite veggies and spices. It’s easy to make in less than an hour, and is great to customize and freeze for later!
Ingredients for the Best Vegan Vegetable Soup
To make this recipe as easy as possible while still including lots of veggie goodness, I use a combination of fresh ingredients and pantry staples.
You simply need:
- Olive oil
- Fresh veggies: Onion, Carrots, and Celery
- Garlic cloves
- Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Dried thyme, and Bay leaves
- Vegetable broth
- Canned fire roasted tomatoes
- Dried green lentils
- Frozen green beans
- Fresh kale
How to Make Vegetable Soup from Scratch
I recommend that you first prep the fresh vegetables and garlic. Peel and dice the onion, peel and slice the carrots into coins, dice the celery, peel and mince the garlic, and de-stem and chop the kale. You can do all of this prep work a day or so ahead if you like, and keep ingredients stored in separate airtight containers in the fridge until you’re ready to cook the soup.
Then, follow these easy steps for preparing the best loaded vegan vegetable soup:
- Firstly, heat olive oil in a large stock pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the prepped onions, carrots, and celery, and cook for several minutes while stirring until softened.
- Next add the salt, pepper, and dried thyme, and cook for one more minute. Pour in the vegetable broth, canned tomatoes with their juices, frozen green beans, dried lentils, and bay leaves. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and let the soup cook for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are al dente.
- Remove the cover and stir the veggie soup well. Add the chopped kale, and stir again. Give a taste and add more seasonings, if needed.
Discard the bay leaves and serve the soup warm.
Easy Substitutions and Ideas for Extra Ingredients
One of the many reasons this vegan veggie soup recipe is so fantastic is that you can easily customize the ingredients used. You can leave out any of the vegetables you don’t like, and swap with whatever you’ve got on hand. Here are a few suggestions for subs:
- Swap fire roasted tomatoes with regular diced canned tomatoes
- Add drained and rinsed chickpeas for an extra boost of protein
- Substitute or add to the frozen green beans with frozen corn and/or peas
- Swap kale with baby spinach leaves
What to Serve With Vegetable Soup
A warm bowl of hearty, yummy soup loaded with veggies goes perfectly with crusty bread or a fresh green salad.
Enjoy with slices of French bread, oyster crackers, or saltines for some great crunch.
How to Store Homemade Vegan Vegetable Soup
Vegan soup is excellent for making ahead and including as part of your weekly meal prep plan! Store cooled leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Batches can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Transfer the cool soup to an airtight freezer-safe container, and wrap in a layer of aluminum foil for even greater freezer burn prevention.
If you tried this vegan vegetable soup recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Here are More Vegan Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Lentil Leek Soup with Mushroom and Kale
- Easy Vegan Chili with Sriracha
- Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder
- Orzo Lemon Soup with Chickpeas
- Vegan White Bean Chili
Vegan Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes can substitue with canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch kale destemmed and chopped
Serving Suggestions (optional):
- fresh basil
- fresh parsley
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until veggies are soft (8-10 minutes).
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, fire roasted tomatoes, green beans, lentils, and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and give the soup a good stir. Add kale and stir until kale is cooked (about 2-3 minutes). Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve soup warm and garnish with fresh parsley of basil if desired.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!