Tofu scramble recipe that is the perfect texture to taste like scrambled eggs! Learn all the tips to make the best tofu scramble!
Let’s be real, tofu scramble doesn’t taste exactly like fluffy scrambled eggs, but when made well it’s a pretty close vegan substitute!
It can be used in breakfast sandwiches, huevos rancheros, and breakfast burritos.
Tofu scramble is an excellent vegan breakfast for all you savory lovers out there. It’s easy to make, only requires 6 ingredients, and tastes AMAZING!
Ingredients for tofu scramble
- Vegan butter (gives it more of an authentic egg taste as opposed to oil) I like Earth Balance brand
- Extra-firm tofu
- Nutritional yeast
- Turmeric (for color)
- Salt and pepper
- Kama Namak salt (optional but recommended!) This salt has an insane eggy taste.
How to make tofu scramble
- Start by pressing the tofu. Wrap in paper towels or a kitchen towel and press in-between heavy objects.
- Let sit for 10-30 minutes. The longer it’s pressed the better!
Melt butter on medium heat and using hands, crumble the pressed tofu. Continue to break apart with a wooden spoon as the tofu cooks.
Mix in the seasonings and cook until heated through.
Tips for the best tofu scrambled eggs
- Make sure the tofu is pressed well – nothing is worse than soggy tofu scramble!
- Use vegan butter instead of oil – this helps give the tofu more flavor and taste like eggs
Tofu Scramble seasoning
This tofu recipe is so versatile. Just seasoned with nutritional yeast, salt and pepper make it a great candidate for numerous recipes. Add different spices to change up the flavors of your tofu scramble:
- Add cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder for a Mexican or Southwestern flair
- Italian seasoning for a flavorful scramble
- Add hot sauce or red chili flakes to spice it up!
- Sprinkle in fresh herbs for a delicious upgrade
If you tried this vegan tofu scramble recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
If you like this recipe, you’ll LOVE:
How to Make Tofu Scramble
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter I like Earth Balance. Can substitute with olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch turmeric optional; for color
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Kama Namak salt optional but recommended for an authentic egg taste!
- Press Tofu: Remove tofu from package and wrap in a kitchen towel or paper towels. Sandwich between plates and place heavy objects on top. Let sit 15-20 minutes.
- Melt vegan butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add pressed tofu and crumble using hands, fork, or wooden spoon.
- Add seasonings. Cook for 3-4 minutes until tofu is heated through.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
4 thoughts on “How to Make Tofu Scramble (Seriously the BEST!)”
I would add Kala Namak / himalayan Black Salt for an extra eggy taste. Would it work?
Yes, that would! I just try to keep my ingredients list simple and accessible!
Simple and delicious.