Nothing is more comforting than a big bed of pasta blanketed in a creamy sauce. This vegan alfredo sauce recipe checks off all the boxes sans all the dairy and cheese. Best of all, it’s quick and easy to whip up, making it a perfect candidate for a weeknight meal.
There are certain foods that I love making vegan versions of – and alfredo is one of those foods.
This is the recipe you can feed to your carnivore friends and play that “I-can’t-believe-this-is-vegan” game.
We all know that game.
Whether you are strictly vegan or just looking for a lightened up alfredo, this recipe is for you my friend.
Ingredients for vegan alfredo sauce
The base is cooked onions and garlic. Then cashews and milk are added for creaminess, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and lemon juice for some lightness. Seasoned with salt and pepper, you are left with a decadent vegan sauce that is the perfect companion for any pasta!
How to make vegan alfredo sauce
- Start out cooking the onions and garlic
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth
Yup, it’s THAT easy.
Note: This recipe calls for soaked cashews so there’s a little prep work to remember.
If you forget to soak the cashews OR you just realized you need this recipe in your life right now (which I don’t blame you), you can do the quick soaking cashew method.
Quick cashew soaking method:
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil
- Remove from heat and pour into a glass or mason jar. Add cashews and let sit uncovered for 15 minutes.
Mix your sauce with pasta and steamed broccoli (highly recommended) for a delicious dinner.
Tip: You can find fancy pasta in the food section at Home Goods which is where I bought this fettuccine. It is wayyyy better than the typical grocery store kind and pretty comparable in price (winning!)
Which plant-based milk is best for this recipe?
Some alfredo recipes call for coconut milk (for extra creaminess). I personally prefer unsweetened almond milk. You can taste the coconut milk in the alfredo sauce and I personally am not a fan. Almond milk is more neutral and lets the other flavors shine through.
This alfredo sauce recipe is included in my Plug and Play Vegan Recipes ebook where you can learn to customize your own plant-based recipes!
Ways to customize this vegan alfredo sauce recipe
- Use roasted garlic for a garlicky sauce
- Pair the sauce with pasta and sauteed mushrooms (yum!)
- Use a gluten-free pasta to make this comforting dish GF
- Add meatless chicken strips (like Gardein) to make a rendition of chicken alfredo
If you tried this vegan alfredo sauce recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Alfredo Sauce RecipePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- fettuccine pasta about 1/2 package uncooked
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked in water for at least 4 hours (see notes for quicker method)
- 3/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat olive oil in a pan on low- medium heat.
- Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add to high-speed blender along with remaining ingredients.
- Cook pasta according to instructions. To steam the broccoli, I like to put a wire mesh strainer over the pot of pasta and add the broccoli. Steam until bright green.
- Combine cooked pasta, broccoli, and sauce. Serve warm. Leftovers keep in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Boil a pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Pout water into glass or mason jar and add cashews.
- Let sit uncovered for 15 minutes.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!