Where are all my brunch fans? I have a scone recipe for you and it’s goodddd. Lemon scones are the perfect breakfast pastry because they’re refreshing, flavorful, and so delicious. Can you believe scones are naturally vegan?! Yea, me neither. Some recipes call for eggs, but according to the internet, that’s not the traditional way to make a scone. Not sure how accurate the debate is, egg vs no egg, but I’m super excited it’s not hard to veganize a scone recipe. They can easily be gluten-free too; if you swap out the flour for a GF blend.
What I love about scones is they’re lightly sweetened compared to other breakfast pastries. While I have a sweet tooth, overly sweet breakfasts I’m not a fan of. They pair perfectly with coffee and compliment a savory breakfast like eggs or tofu scramble.
If you are a big fan of lemon desserts and pastries like me, you are about to be ALL OVER this recipe. So gather your favorite mimosa recipe and get to brunching, stat.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 4 Tablespoons honey (substitute with agave if vegan)
- 2 Tablespoons cane sugar (plus 1 Tablespoon to sprinkle on top)
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- for lemon glaze (optional):
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, and cane sugar.
- Cut in butter until the butter is in tiny clumps, evenly distributed in the dough.
- Add honey (or agave), lemon juice, lemon zest, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Mix ingredients If dough is too dry, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is stiff. You don’t want the dough to be liquid-y.
- Add dough to floured surface and knead a few times. Roll out into a round disc and divide into 8 even slices. Using a spatula, transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cane sugar on top of scones.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before adding glaze.
- To make glaze, mix sugar with lemon juice, then add butter and microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk together until mixture turns into a thick glaze. Drizzle over the top of the scones and let cool.
You ready to try these lemon scones?
Give this lemon scone recipe a go, snap a pic, and give me a shout out on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado. You can see this recipe along with some of my other creations at Brit + Co! Enjoy friends!