Prepare to be wowed by this vegan lemon loaf recipe! Moist lemon cake covered in a perfectly sweetened lemon glaze is what dreams are made of. Whip up this lemon loaf with a handful of simple ingredients!
This lemon loaf recipe is everything to me, and maybe I’m slightly biased because I, for one, am a huge lemon dessert fan. Give me lemon cake, lemon scones, lemon cookies any day over anything chocolate.
Don’t get me wrong, chocolate is amazing too. I’m a major sweets fan, but light citrusy desserts are where it’s at.
If you are a Starbucks fan, you are aware of their infamous lemon loaf. People go nuts over that stuff. Unfortunately, like all their pastries, that precious lemon loaf recipe is not vegan.
Ingredients in Vegan Lemon Loaf
- I substituted butter with coconut oil. This is a far healthy substitute and tastes superb paired with lemon. However, if that buttery flavor is your thing (which I think it’s everyone’s thing) you can substitute with a vegan butter such as Earth Balance.
- Flax eggs instead of regular eggs. If you are familiar with vegan baking, I’m sure you know by now flax seeds are a common way to make vegan eggs. When mixed with water, it created a gelatinous mixture resembling a raw egg. This helps bind the bread recipe in a plant-based way!
Tips on making this lemon loaf:
- Cream butter (or in this case, coconut oil) and sugar. I’m sure you’ve read this in recipes before, but creaming butter and sugar is a science. It adds more air to your batter, resulting in a lighter cake. Here’s a super detailed article that gets into the nitty-gritty of this important step!
- Sift flour before adding to the batter. This breaks up the larger pieces and helps equally disperse all the ingredients into the batter. Plus, it’s easier to mix!
How to make vegan lemon glaze
Whisk together the powdered sugar, vegan butter, and lemon juice until it’s thick and smooth. You can use water to thin out if needed.
Get creative with this lemon loaf recipe!
- Add blueberries when they are in season for a delicious lemon blueberry loaf!
- Add some poppy seeds for a delicious flavor element
- Substitute lemon with orange and add craisins to make a tasty cranberry-orange loaf
- Instead of using all-purpose flour, use a gluten-free blend to make this lemon loaf recipe GF
Share this lemon loaf with your friends and family for your next brunch plans. It makes a great recipe for Easter and Mother’s Day too!
If you tried this vegan lemon loaf recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Related: Vegan lemon scones
Vegan Lemon Loaf with Lemon GlazePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) can substitute with coconut oil if preferred; melted
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (juice from about 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix flax seed and water in small bowl and set in fridge
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar until coconut oil is in small, pea-sized clumps
- Add flax eggs, almond milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest to mixing bowl. Stir well.
- In another mixing bowl, sift flour. Add baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir well. Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. To test if fully cooked, stick a butter knife through the center and ensure it comes out clean.
To Make the Glaze:
- In a small mixing bowl, add all ingredients for glaze and whisk until there are no clumps from the sugar
- Once the loaf is completely cooled, pour glaze onto lemon loaf.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!