Tofu scramble is a common vegan breakfast recipe because it makes a great substitute for egg scramble. Add some veggies and wrap it in a little tortilla and you got yourself a vegan breakfast taco. If you dig my style, load up on all the guacamole and salsa for a pure indulgence. See it is possible (and healthy) to eat tacos all day every day and this tofu scramble recipe is great for a healthy, balanced meal!
Are tacos one of those foods you could literally eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Well, you and I both. I mean, there’s even a taco cleanse cookbook out there where you literally eat tacos all day, every day and lose weight. So you and I cannot be the only taco lovers out there. If anyone has tried this taco cleanse, I’d seriously love to hear about those results.
Tacos have become one of my go-to weeknight meals because they can be thrown together in a short amount of time, and are a well-balanced trifecta of vegetables, carbs, and protein. This vegan taco scramble recipe is an ideal breakfast idea and was designed for taco lovers, like me and you, in mind.
Best tip for preparing tofu:
First, you’ll wanna press your tofu to remove as much water as possible. If you don’t, the scramble will be a little soggy. Up until recently, I typically use a plate, some paper towels, tofu block, more paper towels, a plate, and something heavy sitting on top.
Now I use my crockpot! Remove the heavy ceramic insert and line bottom with paper towels. Add your tofu block and top with more paper towels. Add the insert back on top and bam you got yourself a legit makeshift tofu press. They also make specific tofu presses so if you have one handy, use that.
Tip: Crumble tofu using hands or a fork. I found crumbling it with my hands work best to acheive an authentic “scramble” texture.
This tofu scramble recipe calls for peppers, onions, corn, and taco seasonings, but you don’t have to stop there my friends! Tofu scramble can be the base to lots of delicious combinations. Try spinach and sun-dried tomato, or even kale and sweet potato. Tofu is the best plant-based substitute for scrambled eggs and is high in protein, naturally gluten-free, and a lot lower in cholesterol than traditional eggs.
These tofu scramble tacos are great for weekend breakfast, brunch, or also a healthy and cheap weeknight meal. Pair this tofu scramble recipe with fresh avocado, cilantro, and salsa. If you are vegetarian, sprinkle on some cheese right before removing from the pan so it get’s nice and melty! A vegan brand would work great too!
If you tried this tofu scramble recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Tofu Scramble TacosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2-3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package 6" whole wheat tortillas
- Green onions
- Remove tofu from package and wrap in paper towels. Place plate and heavy objects on top of plate to press tofu and remove liquid
- Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Open package of tofu and press while vegetables are cooking
- Add onion and bell peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent
- Get tofu and crumble over vegetables using hands
- Add corn and diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add taco seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Stir well and remove from heat
- Warm up tortillas in microwave or oven set at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for a 2-3 minutes
- Remove tortillas from microwave or oven and scoop tofu scramble on top
- Top with sliced avocado, green onions, and cilantro
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!