Tofu scramble is a common vegan breakfast recipe because it makes a great substitute for egg scramble. Add some veggies and wrap it in a little tortilla and you got yourself a vegan breakfast taco. If you dig my style, load up on all the avocado and salsa for pure indulgence. See it is possible (and healthy) to eat tacos all day every day and these tofu scramble tacos.
Well, you and I both. I mean, there’s even a taco cleanse cookbook out there where you literally eat tacos all day, every day and lose weight.
So you and I cannot be the only taco lovers out there.
P.S If anyone has tried this taco cleanse, I’d seriously love to hear about those results.
Tacos have become one of my go-to weeknight meals because they can be thrown together in a short amount of time, and are a well-balanced trifecta of vegetables, carbs, and protein. This vegan taco scramble recipe is an ideal breakfast idea and was designed for taco lovers, like me and you, in mind!
Ingredients for Tofu Scramble Tacos
Recipes like tofu scramble are the best because you can get real creative with the ingredients to create your own delicious taco!
For the tofu scramble, we use tofu, seasonings, and nutritional yeast. Added to that is tons of veggies like red onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and corn.
Topped with cilantro, avocado, and salsa for good measure.
How to make tofu scramble
- Start by pressing the tofu. I wrap my tofu in a kitchen towel and sandwich in-between plates with heavy objects on top. Let the tofu sit for at least 15-20 minutes to get all the liquid out.
- Sautee veggies in a pan over medium heat and crumble tofu. You can use a fork, your hands, or a wooden spoon to do this step.
- Add seasonings and give a good mix. Cook 1-2 minutes until tofu is heated through.
Tofu scramble can be eaten on its own like a traditional egg scramble, but we’re no traditionalists here!
Why eat tofu scramble when you can eat tofu scramble tacos?!
Add some tofu scramble to a warm tortilla and top with avocado, salsa, cilantro, or whatever your favorite taco toppings are!
Variations of tofu scramble
This tofu scramble recipe calls for peppers, onions, corn, and taco seasonings, but you don’t have to stop there my friends! Tofu scramble can be the base for lots of delicious combinations.
- Spinach and sun-dried tomato
- Kale and sweet potato
- Mushroom and onion
Tofu is the best plant-based substitute for scrambled eggs and is high in protein, naturally gluten-free, and a lot lower in cholesterol than traditional eggs.
How long does tofu scramble keep?
Tofu scramble will keep in the fridge for about 3 days. Simply heat up when ready to eat!
These tofu scramble tacos are great for weekend breakfast, brunch, or also a healthy and cheap weeknight meal. Pair this tofu scramble recipe with fresh avocado, cilantro, and salsa. If you are vegetarian, sprinkle on some cheese right before removing from the pan so it gets nice and melty! A vegan brand would work great too!
If you tried this tofu scramble taco recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Tofu Scramble TacosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 block Extra firm tofu
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pinch Turmeric for color (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan butter I like Earth Balance
- 1/2 Red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 Small red onion diced
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- 1/2 cup Frozen corn kernels
- 1 package 6-inch tortillas corn, flour, whole wheat, etc.
- Green onions
- Press Tofu: Remove tofu from package and wrap in a kitchen towel or paper towels. Sandwich between plates and place heavy objects on top. Let sit 15-20 minutes.
- Melt vegan butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add pressed tofu and crumble over vegetables using hands, fork, or wooden spoon.
- Add corn, diced tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook for 3-4 minutes until tofu is heated through.
- Warm up tortillas in microwave or oven set at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove tortillas from microwave or oven and scoop tofu scramble on top.
- Top with sliced avocado, green onions, and cilantro.
- Leftover tofu scramble keeps in the fridge for 3 days.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!