Are tacos one of those foods you could literally eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Well you and I both. I mean, there’s even a taco cleanse cookbook out there where you literally eat tacos all day, everyday and lose weight. So you and I cannot be the only taco lovers out there. If anyone has tried this taco cleanse, I’d seriously love to hear about those results. Tacos have become one of my go-to weeknight meals because they can be thrown together in a short amount of time, as well as a well balanced trifecta of vegetables, carbs, and protein. This vegan taco scramble taco recipe is an ideal breakfast recipe and was designed for taco lovers, like me and you, in mind. Tofu scramble is a common vegan breakfast recipe because it makes a great substitute for egg scramble. Add some veggies and wrap it in a little tortilla and you got yourself a vegan breakfast taco. If you dig my style, load up on all the guacamole and salsa for a pure indulgence. See it is possible (and healthy) to eat tacos all day everyday. Keep reading for the details.
First you’ll wanna press your tofu to remove as much water as possible. If you don’t the scramble will be a little soggy. Up until recently, I typically use a plate, some paper towels, tofu block, more paper towels, a plate, and something heavy sitting on top. Now I use my crockpot! Remove the heavy ceramic bowl and line bottom with paper towels. Add your tofu block and top with more paper towels. Add the bowl back on top and bam you got yourself a legit makeshift tofu press. They also make specific tofu presses so if you’re fancy, use that.
Tip: Crumble tofu in hand or using a fork. I found crumbling it with my hands work best.
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup tomato, diced
- ½ cup corn
- 2-3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package 6" whole wheat tortillas
- Green onions
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat.
- Open package of tofu and press while vegetables are cooking.
- Add onion and bell peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Remove tofu from press and crumble over vegetables.
- Add corn and diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Warm up tortillas in microwave or oven set at 350 degree Fahrenheit for a couple minutes.
- Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve in tortillas.
- Top with sliced avocado, green onions, and cilantro.
Hip hip for tofu scramble and vegan breakfast tacos!
Give this recipe a go, snap a pic and give me a shout out on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado. You can see this recipe along with some of my other creations at Brit + Co! Enjoy friends!
Related: Jackfruit pulled “pork” tacos