Are tacos one of those foods you could literally eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Well then you’re like me. Tacos have become one of my go-to weeknight meals because they can be thrown together in a short amount of time, and they can be a well balanced trifecta of vegetables, carbs, and protein. Tofu scramble is a common vegan breakfast recipe, yet it makes a great filling for tacos too. See it is possible (and healthy) to eat tacos all day everyday. Keep reading for the details.
With very minimal ingredients, you can whip these up in no time. Hip hip for tacos!
First you’ll wanna press your tofu to remove as much water as possible. If you don’t the scramble will be a little soggy. Up until recently, I typically use a plate, some paper towels, tofu block, more paper towels, a plate, and something heavy sitting on top. Now I use my crockpot! Remove the heavy ceramic bowl and line bottom with paper towels. Add your tofu block and top with more paper towels. Add the bowl back on top and bam you got yourself a legit makeshift tofu press. They also make specific tofu presses so if you’re fancy use that.
Crumble tofu in hand or using a fork. I found crumbling it with my hands work best.
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- ½ cup tomato diced
- ½ cup corn
- 2-3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package 6" whole wheat tortillas
- Green onions
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat.
- Open package of tofu and press while vegetables are cooking.
- Add onion and bell peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Remove tofu from press and crumble over vegetables.
- Add corn and diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Warm up tortillas in microwave or oven set at 350 degree Fahrenheit for a couple minutes.
- Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve in tortillas.
- Top with sliced avocado, green onions, and cilantro.
Give this recipe a go, snap a pic and give me a shout out on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado. You can see this recipe along with some of my other creations at Brit + Co! Enjoy friends!