Sweet plump blueberries and zesty lemon is a flavorful duo in these vegan scones! Perfect for brunch or any special occasion!
I have a *sweet spot for scones. They have crunchy tops, soft, moist centers, and are the perfect amount of sweetness for me. Plus, anything lemon blueberry is just irresistible! This lemon blueberry scone recipe is easy to make and doesn’t include any dairy!
Ingredients for lemon blueberry scones
With 10 ingredients, you can whip up this scone recipe!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- Cane sugar
- Lemon juice + zest
- Almond milk
- Vanilla extract
How to make lemon blueberry scones
Scones are as easy as it gets when it comes to a baked good.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder
- Cut butter into the dry mixture using a fork
- Add wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula
- Fold in blueberries
Tip: try not to overmix the dough. the reason to cut in cold butter is to have some clumps of butter in the dough. This creates flakes in the scones.
Place dough on a floured surface and cut into slices using a dough scraper. A knife will work too for this step. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with extra cane sugar.
Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. The tops should be a light golden brown.
Fresh or frozen blueberries?
Both work! If you use frozen, no need to thaw, just mix in the dough frozen. Frozen berries are less likely to burst in baking so there’s that to consider as well (although I’m not mad when they do!) You can even use wild blueberries which are smaller in size.
How to make a lemon glaze
These scones taste great on their own (I like the crunch of the cane sugar on top). If you want to get fancy and take these lemon blueberry scones to the next level, make a lemon glaze!
- Mix 1 cup confectioner sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1 Tablespoon of melted vegan butter.
- Whisk until it’s a nice icing consistency. Drizzle over scones and let dry.
Lemon blueberry scones are perfect for breakfast or a quick snack. They are great for Mother’s Day brunches, Easter, bridal showers, wedding showers, or just a regular old Sunday!
If you tried these vegan lemon blueberry scones, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up! If you like this scone recipe, try regular vegan lemon scones or vegan lemon loaf!
Vegan Lemon Blueberry SconesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons cane sugar (plus 1 Tablespoon to sprinkle on top)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 4 Tablespoons agave
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
For Lemon Glaze (optional):
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, and cane sugar.
- Cut in butter until the butter is in tiny clumps, evenly distributed in the dough.
- Add agave, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and almond milk. Mix ingredients; If the dough is too dry, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is stiff. You don’t want the dough to be liquidy. Fold in blueberries
- Add dough to floured surface and use hands to form into a disc. Divide into 8 even slices. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle cane sugar on top of scones.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before adding the glaze.
- To make the glaze: Whisk together until mixture turns into a thick glaze. Drizzle over the top of the scones and let cool.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!