Is there anything in life some tacos can’t solve? Well, maybe, but tacos are an all around crowd pleaser and are so versatile. You can literally eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and the fillings are virtually endless. But what about when you are craving a big refreshing salad? That’s where this vegan taco salad comes into play. Pile on the lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and alllll the avocado. The taco “meat” is made with lentils and walnuts to give it a nice texture and a healthy dose of proteins and fats. It is so flavorful that I often skip the dressing, but an avocado cilantro dressing like this would be delicious. This vegan taco salad is one of my favorites because it’s easy to make in batches and last me all work for work lunches.
So bring on meatless Monday and add this lentil walnut taco meat to a salad or try it with traditional tacos – you won’t be sorry!
- ½ cup lentils, uncooked
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (optional)
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 8 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup water to a boil.
- Add lentils and reduce heat. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes
- In a large pan on medium heat, add olive oil, diced onion, and garlic. Sautée until onions are translucent
- Add chipotle chilies, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and diced tomatoes. Mix well.
- Stir in chopped walnuts and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Put cooked lentils in food processor or blender and pulse until slightly blended. Make sure not to overdo this step so it doesn't turn to mush
- Add to large pan and mix well. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes
- Serve warm on salad or use as a taco filling
Try this vegan taco salad or make some tacos – but make sure to snap a pic and give me a shout out on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado. Happy eating!