Is there anything in life some tacos can’t solve? Well, maybe, but tacos are an all-around crowd pleaser and are so versatile. You can literally eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and the fillings are virtually endless. But what about when you are craving a big refreshing salad? That’s where this vegan taco salad comes into play.
This taco “meat” is seriously one of my favorite plant-based recipes to date! Here’s why:
- Lentils provide a great source of fiber and plant-based protein
- Walnuts add a nice meaty texture and crunch. They are also a healthy fat source and have protein as well!
The flavors from the seasoning and adobo sauce are a game-changer of sorts and add a delicious flavor kick to your meal!
How to make a vegan taco salad:
It’s pretty simple, actually, AND here’s the time you can get real creative! Pile on your vegetables, the taco “meat”, and some salsa or dressing although it is so flavorful that I often skip the dressing. Whatever vegetables and components you choose is up to you! I listed some tips below to take your salad game to the next level.
Tips on customizing your own taco salad:
- If you are looking for a dressing to pair with this salad, an avocado cilantro dressing like this would be delicious
- Add shredded cheese and/or sour cream for a vegetarian option
- Pair with chips and guacamole or salsa for a tasty side dish
- Top with some crumbled tortilla chips for a nice crunch
- For vegetables, corn, mushrooms, peppers, onions, diced tomatoes, and cilantro all make excellent options
I personally like making this salad for my lunches all week. This recipe is quick and easy to make to tackle your meal prepping!
Taco salads are the perfect option for all my low-carb and gluten-free friends, but for my traditionalists, make this taco “meat” for some excellent vegan tacos! This recipe is the best for a Meatless Monday meal.
If you tried this vegan taco salad recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Taco Salads with Lentil Walnut "Meat"Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup lentils uncooked
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 8 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup water to a boil.
- Add lentils and reduce heat. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil, diced onion, and garlic. Sautée until onions are translucent
- Add chipotle chilies, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and diced tomatoes. Mix well.
- Stir in chopped walnuts and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Put cooked lentils in a food processor or blender and pulse until slightly blended. Make sure not to overdo this step so it doesn't turn to mush
- Add to large pan and mix well. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes
- Serve warm on salad or use as a taco filling
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!