Juicy strawberries and a light coconut whipped topping sandwiched between a flakey buttery vegan biscuit. This easy vegan strawberry shortcake recipe is a dream come true!
Hello, all my strawberry shortcake fans! This is by far one of my favorite desserts and I’m so excited to make it vegan!
What is strawberry shortcake?
Strawberry shortcake consists of 3 components:
- Some type of biscuit or poundcake (biscuit is “southern style” or “classic”)
- Whipped cream
Now obviously there are many variations and techniques for strawberry shortcake, but these elements always stay true. This vegan strawberry shortcake recipe consists of buttery flakey biscuits, fresh strawberries, and an easy whipped cream made of coconut milk.
Ingredients for vegan strawberry shortcake
- Baking powder
- Almond milk
- Vegan butter (I like Earth Balance)
- Fresh strawberries
- Lemon juice
- Cane sugar
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Canned coconut milk
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make vegan strawberry shortcake
First, we prep the strawberries! Using a paring knife, hull the strawberries.
Hulling a strawberry simply means cutting off the top and removing the center of the strawberry.
Cut the strawberries in half and place in a mixing bowl.
How do you macerate strawberries?
Add sugar and lemon juice to the strawberries and mix well. Let sit while you make the biscuits and whipped cream. The sugar will react with the strawberries making them nice and juicy!
Can you use frozen strawberries for strawberry shortcake?
Fresh strawberries are ideal, but if it’s not strawberry season and you are craving this dessert, frozen will work as a great substitute. You will want to let them thaw completely before mixing in the sugar and lemon juice.
How to make vegan biscuits for strawberry shortcake
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Use a cheese grater to grate cold butter over the dry mixture.
- Add almond milk and mix unstil just combined.
- Roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to make the biscuits.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat and bake 425F for 10-15 minutes
Tip: If you do not have a cookie cutter, a standard size mason jar lid will work!
The key to getting flakey biscuits
Flakey biscuits are a result of using cold butter. When baking, the butter melts and created air pockets to create a flakey texture. Try to reduce how much you touch the dough and handle it as it will make the butter melt before baking.
How to make coconut whipped cream
The key to a successful coconut whipped cream topping is cold coconut milk.
I pretty much always have a can of coconut milk in my fridge for this reason. When coconut milk is cold, the liquid separates from the cream. In order to make coconut whipped cream, we use all that creamy goodness! I like to save the liquid for a smoothie.
Scoop the cream into a bowl and beat it with a hand mixer. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until combined!
Assemble strawberry shortcake
- Carefully slice a biscuit in half just like you would with a bagel.
- On the bottom half, spoon some strawberries, then top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Add the top of the biscuit and top with additional whipped cream.
- Garnish with fresh strawberry slices.
Strawberry shortcake is the best Summer treat! It’s a perfect way to take advantage of berry season.
If you tried this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Strawberry ShortcakePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cup fresh strawberries hulled and cut in half
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
Vegan Whipped Cream:
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk refrigerated at least 4 hours
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar plus more to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place mixing bowl and beaters for hand mixer in the freezer.
Make the Strawberry Filling:
- Cut the tops off the strawberries and remove the top hard center (known as hulling). Slice the strawberries in half.
- In a small mixing bowl, add strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside. The strawberries will get nice and juicy as you make the other components!
Make the Biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Using a grater, grate the cold butter into the dry mixture.
- Add milk and mix until you have a stiff dough.
- Put the mixture on a floured surface and knead a few times ensuring dough is not sticky.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out circle shapes using a cookie cutter or mason jar lid. Place on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with addiitonal cane sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and transfer to a cooling rack. Brush with additional melted butter.
Make the Vegan Whipped Cream:
- Remove mixing bowl and beaters from the freezer and remove coconut milk from the fridge. Open can and spoon out cream into mixing bowl.
- Beat on low-medium speed for 30 seconds until peaks begin to form
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat again until ingredients are well combined. Note, if whipped cream is too liquidly, try adding some more powdered sugar or 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Using a serrated knife, cut biscuits in half like you would a bagel.
- Spoon some strawberry filling on the bottom half and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Place the biscuit top on top and add some more whipped cream. Garnish with fresh strawberry slices!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!