I see you taco fanatic, sitting over there daydreaming of tacos on the regular. Let’s make those taco dreams come true with some jackfruit pulled pork tacos! Meaty vegan “pulled pork” topped with fresh veggies makes one heck of a wholesome dinner. Grab some chips and guacamole and get ready for some taco time!
This vegan taco recipe is to die for and I kid you not, this jackfruit pulled pork tastes a lot like the real deal. Jackfruit has been gaining some popularity in the vegan culture for its meat-like texture and neutral taste. You can add any seasonings you want and essentially recreate your favorite meat-heavy dish (like this BBQ jackfruit pizza *drool).
What is jackfruit?
In case you are a brand new jackfruit newbie, jackfruit is a tropical fruit common in Asia and looks like a HUGE spiky watermelon shaped fruit. Now I’ve watched YouTube videos on how to open a jackfruit, and let me tell you, it looks intense. Lucky for you and me, they sell canned jackfruit which is way more convenient because one, we don’t have jackfruit naturally in the US, and two, it’s a lot easier to deal with.
If you live near an Asian market, they most likely carry canned jackfruit, or if you live near a Trader Joe’s, they started carrying canned jackfruit! I nearly screamed with joy when I saw it on the shelves, I know, I’m way too obsessed with food. Seriously though, this stuff is a game changer for those vegetarians and vegans out there and they really help diversify your dinner recipe options.
Note: When buying canned jackfruit, you just have to read the label and make sure it says in brine or water. Some canned jackfruit is in syrup which would lead you to an overly sweet recipe disaster!
How to prepare pulled jackfruit:
Even though this jackfruit resembles pulled pork, I find it way easier to “mash” it rather than “shredding” with a fork!
- Start by heating jackfruit on medium/high heat
- Using a potato masher, start mashing jackfruit until the chunks break up
When mashing it, the jackfruit chunks break apart beautifully, creating that desired pulled pork texture! Once the jackfruit pulled pork is done, just add your seasonings and let it cook for a few minutes. In no time you have an easy and tasty dinner recipe that only requires a few ingredients!
Assemble jackfruit pulled pork tacos:
While the photos are purely topping suggestions, this is the time to get real creative with your tacos! Toppings can include (but not limited to):
- Purple cabbage
- Pickled red onions
- Hemp seeds
- Fresh lime juice
- Sour cream (omit if vegan)
- Shredded cheese (omit if vegan)
- Diced tomatoes
- Black olives
- Shredded lettuce
- Sauteed onions and peppers
- Or if you’re extra fancy, homemade jicama salsa!
These vegan jackfruit pulled pork tacos are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. Top with lots of colorful veggies for a healthy and wholesome dinner.
Tip: For my gluten-free babes out there, use corn tortillas or even lettuce wraps! This low-carb option is just as delicious!
If you tried this vegan pulled pork taco recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
BBQ Jackfruit Pizza
Vegan Taco Salads
Easy Homemade Guacamole
Delicious Homemade Salsa
Jackfruit "Pulled Pork" Tacos
- 1 package of flour or corn tortillas (use corn if gluten free)
- 2 20oz cans jackfruit in brine or water
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (or substitute with another neutral oil)
- 2 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce chopped
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- purple cabbage
- pickled red onions
- hemp seeds
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Drain cans of jackfruit in a strainer
- Coat pan with olive oil and add jackfruit to pan
- Heat for 1-2 minutes
- Remove jackfruit from heat and mash with a potato masher until all jackfruit chunks are broken up
- Place pan back on heat and add chilis and seasonings
- Stir well and let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Microwave tortillas for 30 seconds to heat up, or warm in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes
- To assemble tacos, layer purple cabbage on a warm tortilla, add jackfruit, and top with red onions, cilantro, hemp seeds, and sliced avocado (all optional). Serve with fresh lime wedges!
Note: Make sure if you want to make pickled onions, you make them ahead of time! I like this recipe from Epicurious because it is quicker than traditional pickle recipes.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
2 thoughts on “Jackfruit Pulled Pork Tacos”
These look so colorful and appetizing! I’ve never tried jackfruit but I think I need to make this recipe!!!
Jackfruit is such a great plant-based sub for meat! I hope you enjoy, Jocelyn!