I see you taco fanatic, sitting over there day dreaming of tacos on the regular. Let’s make those taco dreams come true with some jackfruit pulled pork tacos! This vegan taco recipe is to die for and I kid you not, this jackfruit pulled pork tastes a lot like the real deal. Jackfruit has been gaining some popularity in the vegan culture for its meat like texture and neutral taste. You can add any seasonings you want and essentially recreate your favorite meat heavy dish (like this BBQ jackfruit pizza *drool). In case you are a brand new jackfruit newbie, jackfruit is a tropical fruit common in Asia and looks like a HUGE spiky watermelon shaped fruit. Now I’ve watched YouTube videos on how to open a jackfruit, and let me tell you, it’s looks intense. Lucky for you and me, they sell canned jackfruit which is way more convenient because one, we don’t have jackfruit naturally in the US, and two, it’s a lot easier to deal with. If you live near an Asian market, they most likely carry it there. You just have to watch out for jackfruit in syrup because this would lead you to an overly sweet recipe disaster. You want to find canned jackfruit in brine or water. Recently, the Trader Joe Gods answered my prayers and started carrying canned jackfruit! I nearly screamed with joy when I saw it on the shelves, I know, I’m way to obsessed with food. Seriously though, this stuff is a game changer for those vegetarians and vegans out there and they really help diversify your dinner recipe options.
TIP: When handling canned jackfruit, I find it easiest to heat it up for a few minutes on medium/high heat and use a potato masher to mash it, rather than shredding it with a fork. When mashing it, the jackfruit chunks break apart beautifully, creating that desired pulled pork texture.
Once the jackfruit pulled pork has reached the correct texture, just add your seasonings and let it cook for a few minutes. In no time you have an easy dinner recipe that only requires a few ingredients!
- 1 package of flour or corn tortillas (use corn if gluten free)
- 2 (20oz) cans jackfruit in brine or water
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, or substitute with another neutral oil
- 2 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- purple cabbage
- pickled red onions
- hemp seeds
- Place large skillet on medium high heat
- Drain cans of jackfruit in strainer
- Coat pan with olive oil and put jackfruit in pan
- Heat for 1-2 minutes
- Remove jackfruit from heat and mash with a potato masher until all jackfruit chunks are broken up
- Place pan back on heat and add remaining ingredients
- Stir well and let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Microwave tortillas for 30 seconds to warm up or warm in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes
- To assemble tacos, layer purple cabbage on warm tortilla, add jackfruit, and top with red onions, cilantro, hemp seeds, and sliced avocado (all optional). Serve with fresh lime wedges!
Note: Make sure if you want to make pickled onions, you make them ahead of time! I like this recipe from Epicurious because it is quicker than traditional pickle recipes.
You think you’re ready to give this jackfruit pulled pork a try?