Lentils, walnuts, chipotles OH MY! Yes, this vegan taco “meat” is the perfect filling for tacos! Add all the toppings and turn dinner into a fun plant-based taco night!
This post was originally published in June 2018. Photos have been updated and more tips have been added.
Is there any problem in life tacos can’t solve?
Especially these vegan tacos. They are so easy to make and flavorful, it’s hard to believe they come together with minimal ingredients.
Enjoy this vegan taco meat in a traditional taco or lighten things up with a taco salad. Either way, your heart and soul will be happy!
Ingredients for vegan taco meat
- Green lentils
- Diced tomatoes
- Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
I don’t need to tell you this but tacos are one of the easiest, most fun, kid-approved meals out there. This vegan taco recipe fits the bill too. The vegan taco “meat” is beyond filling and is super healthy.
How to make vegan taco filling
Vegan tacos are just as easy to make as meat tacos! For the vegan meat filling do the following:
- Cook lentils according to package
- Add cook lentils along with walnuts, chipotle chilis, garlic, and seasonings to a food processor
- Pulse until desired consistency is reached (about 10-12 pulses)
- Add taco meat to skillet and cook for 5-8 minutes until warm and tomatoes are cooked
- Add crumbled tofu to the taco meat for an extra protein kick
- Customize the number of chipotle chilies for more/less heat
- Swap out corn or flour tortillas for lettuce cups or a gluten-free tortilla. I like Siete brand for GF tortillas!
- Make “fajita style” by topping with sauteed peppers and onions
- Substitute sour cream with salsa or guacamole
- Top with cotija cheese (for my non-vegan babes)
- Try a fun salsa as a topping like this jicama mango salsa!
- Use this taco meat recipe to make a salad
- Turn it into a bowl! Use rice as a base with some beans, then top with any veggies you’d like
Storing and reheating tips
Leftovers keep in the fridge for about a week! Store leftovers in an airtight container and it can be reheated to make into tacos, salads, or bowls throughout the week!
You can reheat the taco meat in the microwave or on the stovetop on low-medium heat until heated through.
If you tried these vegan tacos, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Quick & Easy Vegan Tacos
- 1/2 cup lentils uncooked
- 1 8-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2-3 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- tortillas corn, flour, or GF
- sour cream use vegan brand if vegan
- sliced radishes
- diced tomatoes
- Bring 1 cup of water to a rolling boil.
- Rinse uncooked lentils and add to water. Cover and reduce heat to low-medium. Let cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove lentils from the burner and set aside for 3-5 minutes covered. Remove cover and fluff with a fork.
- Add cooked lentils, diced tomatoes, walnuts, garlic, and seasonings to the food processor. Pulse until desired consistency is reached (about 10-12 times).
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Add taco meat and let cook 5-8 minutes until tomatoes are cooked.
- Serve warm on tortillas. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for about a week
- You can reheat the taco meat in the microwave or on the stovetop on low-medium heat until heated through.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!