Vegan huevos rancheros is the ultimate plant-based savory breakfast! Homemade refried beans with tofu scramble and a healthy serving of avocado and salsa. This Mexican-inspired breakfast is PERFECTION!
Are you team savory or team sweet for breakfast?
Nothing beats a giant stack of pancakes, but let’s be real, savory breakfast can be hard to find without eggs and meat.
I’m on a mission to make allll the yummy savory vegan breakfasts and this huevos rancheros recipe fits the bill.
What is huevos rancheros?
Traditional huevos rancheros (aka farmer’s eggs) is a fried egg on top of a tortilla with lots of spicy salsa. It can be served with refried beans, rice, and guacamole too.
We’re no traditionalists here! Instead of a fried egg, this recipe is piled high with tofu scramble and creamy refried beans.
Ingredients for vegan huevos rancheros
Refried beans, tofu scramble, tortillas, salsa, and avocado are all the components in this dish. Topped with cilantro and served with a lime wedge, you have yourself a perfect savory breakfast.
How to make refried beans
- Cook onions until nice and soft
- Add green chilis and seasonings
- Add rinsed and drained pinto beans, cover, and let cook for 5 minutes
- Use a potato masher to get beans to desired consistency.
Tip: To get velvety smooth refried beans, use an immersion blender instead of a potato masher.
How to make tofu scramble
- Press a block of extra firm tofu
- Use hands to crumble tofu over a pan (use the same pan from the beans to save dishes!)
- Add seasonings and cook until heated through
Assemble the vegan huevos rancheros by spreading refried beans on a heated tortilla. Top with tofu scramble, salsa, and avocado.
This breakfast is perfect for the weekends or even a delicious brunch recipe!
If you tried this vegan huevos rancheros recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Huevos RancherosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 4-ounce can green chilis
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 6-inch tortillas corn, flour, whole wheat, etc.
- avocado sliced
- chopped cilantro
- fresh lime wedges
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add green chilis, garlic and seasonings. Cook for about 30 seconds. Add pinto beans, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to mash beans until desired consistency is reached.
- Press Tofu: Remove tofu from package and wrap in a kitchen towel or paper towels. Sandwich between plates and place heavy objects on top. Let sit 15-20 minutes.
- Melt vegan butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add pressed tofu and crumble using hands, fork, or wooden spoon.
- Add seasonings. Cook for 3-4 minutes until tofu is heated through.
Assemble Huevos Rancheros:
- Spread refried beans onto a warm tortilla. Top with tofu scramble, salsa, avocado, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!