This vegan southwestern soup is a real hit! Vegetables, beans, and spices all cooked in a flavorful tomato broth! This soup recipe is so easy to prepare and you can eat leftovers for the week. Pair with some tortilla chips for a delicious plant-based meal!
This post was originally published March 2018. Photos and recipe have been updated!
Soup is one of those foods that is so underrated as the weather gets warmer but makes a delicious meal year-round (hello, corn chower in the Summer!). Not only can this soup recipe be made all year round, has all the right seasonings, and is so nutritious and healthy, but most importantly, SO DARN GOOD. When a recipe is healthy AND tastes good, I’m all about it.
What’s great about this soup recipe is it’s so versatile. Add some spinach for a little extra health boost, or if you are vegetarian, top with some shredded cheddar cheese! Recipes that don’t require exact measuring are my kinda thing because it allows me to cook with freedom sans all that precision.
Ingredients for Southwestern Soup
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper
- Poblano pepper
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Veggie broth
- Green chilies
- Chili powder
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper
How to make Southwestern soup
- Start by sauteeing the onions, bell pepper, and poblano peppers on medium heat.
- Add garlic and seasonings and stir for a minute.
- Add corn, black beans, green chilies, diced tomatoes, and veggie broth. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add lime juice. Stir, taste, and adjust seasonings if needed!
Storing and freezing tips:
This soup keeps in the fridge for about 1 week.
This soup recipe freezes beautifully! Store in an airtight container or a freezer bag. Soup will keep well up to 3 months
What to pair with vegan southwestern soup
- Taco Salad
- Tortilla chips
If you tried this vegan southwestern soup, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Southwestern Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 poblano peppers diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1+1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 4-ounce can green chilis
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- vegan sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and poblano pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and peppers are softened (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, Stir until combined and fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add corn, black beans, green chilies, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Stir well and increase the heat to high.
- Once the soup begins to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir well. Add lime juice, stir, taste and adjust seasonings if needed!
- Remove from heat. Serve with copious amounts of fresh cilantro, avocado, and vegan sour cream!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!