Thick, sweet, perfectly dense and moist cornbread is a welcomed friend at any dinner table. This easy vegan cornbread recipe includes simple, wholesome ingredients to make a delicious comfort food side dish in under an hour!
You know you just want to give this slice of thick, fluffy cornbread a pinch.
A perfectly sweet wedge of vegan cornbread makes you feel all warm and cuddly from the inside out. It’s got that light crunch on the bottom and top, and in between is a delightfully moist (sorry, but it’s the best word for what’s going on here) and tender crumb.
Cornbread is fabulous to slather with vegan butter and eat with all your fave savory comfort foods. And with my no-fail recipe you’ll be enjoying the best eggless, dairy-free, completely vegan cornbread in only 45 minutes!
- Oat milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Grapeseed oil
- All-purpose flour
- Yellow cornmeal
- Cane sugar
- Baking powder
How to Make the Best Vegan Cornbread
First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8×8″ pan.
Combine the oat milk and apple cider vinegar in a large glass. Let sit for 5 minutes to curdle – this mimics the taste of buttermilk and makes the cornbread fluffy.
Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
Then mix in the grapeseed oil to combine. Next, pour in the “buttermilk” mixture and whisk until the batter is just combined. Don’t over mix or you won’t get that classic thick cornbread.
Pour the batter into the greased pan, and gently level with a spatula.
Bake the vegan cornbread for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean. If there is still a bit of wet batter, put the pan back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes and check again.
Once baked through, remove the cornbread from the oven and let cool for several minutes before slicing and serving.
- Easily make this a gluten-free vegan cornbread recipe by swapping all-purpose flour with your favorite GF-friendly alternative. But you don’t want a mix that has baking powder or other ingredients in it!
- I recommend using oat milk for it’s mild flavor and creamy texture, but feel free to use your preferred plant-based beverage. Almond and soy milk are both good options! Cashew and coconut milk will big-time change the taste of the cornbread.
- You can sub grapeseed oil with other neutral-flavored oil, like vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Add in extra goodies! After whisking the batter you can gently fold in chopped broccoli, sliced jalapenos, shredded vegan cheddar cheese, and/or frozen corn kernels.
- Make this a vegan cornbread muffins recipe! Make the batter as directed and bake in a greased muffin tin for approximately 15-20 minutes.
Slather a thick wedge of sweet cornbread with a generous pat of plant-based butter and/or a drizzle of honey.
Cornbread is perfect to enjoy with your favorite southern meals, of course! Serve it as a side dish with a vegan bbq tofu bowl or nut-crusted savory breaded tofu, plus some simple roasted or sautéed veggies, for a complete comforting dinner.
Vegan cornbread is great to have on the table for Thanksgiving and all of your holiday gatherings!
And you’ve got to have a plateful of warm slices of homemade cornbread to eat with savory stews, soups, and chilis. Just a few of my personal favorites are vegan white bean chili, vegan broccoli cheddar soup, and a simple vegetable soup.
How long will vegan cornbread last?
Dairy-free cornbread is a great recipe to make ahead! When the baked cornbread has cooled, either wrap the dish with plastic cling wrap or transfer to an airtight container. It will keep well on the counter for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. But keep in mind that cornbread will begin to dry out in the fridge after a couple of days.
To freeze, wrap the cooled cornbread in a layer of plastic cling wrap before placing in a large zipper storage bag. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, and defrost in the fridge overnight before eating cold or warmed.
If you tried this vegan cornbread recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up.
If You Like This Delicious Vegan Side Dish Recipe, You’ll Love:
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal I like using a medium course cornmeal
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 8×8 inch pan and set aside.
- In a large measuring glass, combine apple cide vinegar and oat milk. Give it a good stir and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, corn meal, cane sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Add grapeseed oil to the oat milk mixture and mix well. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Whisk together until just combined.
- Pour cornbread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and inserting a toothpick into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting into slices and serving.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!