Corn is one of those Summer vegetables I just cant get enough of. I love corn on the cob from the grill – it tastes so sweet and it’s crunch is pure bliss. What better way to eat corn, well besides off the cob, than in a hearty, creamy corn chowder? This vegan corn chowder recipe is so good you won’t even believe it’s vegan. That’s my kind of recipe right there!
What I love about this corn chowder is how easy it is to whip up and how healthy it is. I love easy recipes in the Summer because I love being able to enjoy the sunshine after work rather than in the kitchen cooking all night. With this soup recipe, I can make a big batch and have left overs for days. Don’t let the adjective “creamy” fool you either! This chowder recipe gets it’s creaminess from coconut milk so you get that hearty creamy deliciousness from healthy plant based fats. Vegan corn chowder for the win!
With nearly 1 month left of Summer, I’m squeezing all the seasonal produce I can in my recipes before I say goodbye ’til next year. I love Summer; it’s my favorite season and the produce is amazing. However, I can’t disregard all the other season’s fruits and vegetables. I get so giddy inside thinking about Autumn recipes. I’m also guilty of hopping on the pumpkin loving band wagon where I want pumpkin in everything. There I said it! Now before I get ahead of myself in full pumpkin mode, let’s continue with this amazing corn chowder recipe!
Easy Vegan Corn ChowderPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 medium sized red potatoes cubed (about 4 cups)
- 3-4 ears of corn
- 4 cups vegetable broth one carton
- 1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- chopped green onions (optional)
- Pour olive oil in large soup pot and place on medium heat
- Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until garlic is fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Shuck corn and cut kernels off cob
- Add vegetable broth, corn kernels, potatoes, and seasonings to pot. Bring chowder to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked. You can check by sticking a fork through the potato.
- Using a ladle, spoon half of the chowder into a blender. Add coconut milk
- Blend until smooth
- Pour blended soup back into soup pot and mix with well
- Let cook for 1-2 more minutes stirring frequently
- Serve with chopped green onions and chili flakes
This soup would be paired great with some bread or vegan biscuits. 😉 I would also love to experiment making this recipe in the crockpot so if you give that a try I would love to hear how it turned out! Just write in the comments below.