Gather fresh corn to make this delicious vegan corn chowder! A summer soup loaded with veggies and a super creamy, dairy-free broth.
This post was originally published in August 2018. Pictures, post, and recipe have been updated.
Corn is one of those summer vegetables I just can’t get enough of. I love corn in veggie burgers, on the cob, and in this hearty vegan corn chowder!
This corn chowder recipe is so good you won’t even believe it’s vegan.
That’s my kind of recipe right there!
Ingredients in vegan corn chowder
- Fresh corn on the cob
- Red bell pepper
- Red potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Coconut milk
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Fresh vs frozen vs canned corn
Like most veggies, fresh is the best! However, if you’re just CRAVING corn chowder outside of corn season, frozen is a great substitution.
Canned corn would work in this recipe, but it would not be as tasty.
How to make vegan corn chowder
- Start by heating up the olive oil and sauteeing the onions and bell pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, corn, and seasonings and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through. You’ll be able to easily pierce them with a fork.
- Add about half of the soup to a blender with a can of coconut milk. Puree until smooth.
- Add back to the soup pot with the rest of the soup and mix well.
By blending half the soup, it makes the chowder super creamy without having to add any sort of heavy cream. The coconut milk enhances the creaminess and the flavor does not shine through.
Storing homemade corn chowder
Leftovers keep in the fridge for about 1 week in an airtight container.
Can you freeze vegan corn chowder?
I wouldn’t recommend it. Potatoes in soups do not freeze well! They absorb a lot of liquid and become grainy when thawed out.
If you tried this vegan corn chowder recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Easy Vegan Corn Chowder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 medium-sized red potatoes cubed (about 4 cups)
- 4 ears of corn about 4 cups (see notes for substitution)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- chopped green onions for garnish
- Pour olive oil into a large soup pot on low-medium heat.
- Add onion, and bell pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until veggies are soft
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Shuck corn and cut kernels off the cob.
- Add vegetable broth, corn kernels, potatoes, and seasonings to the pot. Bring chowder to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked (about 15 minutes). You can check by sticking a fork through the potato.
- Using a ladle, spoon half of the chowder into a blender. Add coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
- Pour blended soup back into the soup pot and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with chopped green onions.
- You can substitute fresh corn with frozen corn. I would not recommend substituting it with canned corn.
- Leftovers keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about 1 week.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!