Sweet and tart lime custard paired with a graham cracker crust is the pie of my DREAMS! These vegan key lime pie bites are super easy to make and only requires 8 ingredients!
Is there anything better than key lime pie?
Being a big citrus dessert fan, key lime pie is no exception. These bite-sized pie bites are perfect for parties or any special occasion.
Ingredients for vegan key lime pie
- Graham crackers
- Vegan butter (I like Earth Balance)
- Cane sugar
- Lime juice
- Canned coconut milk
- Maple syrup
- Lime zest
What are key limes?
The name key lime pie comes from using key limes to make the recipe. Key limes are a variety of limes that are more tart and floral in taste. You can find key limes at the grocery store sometimes next to the regular limes. They are much smaller in size. Even though it’s called key lime pie, most recipes use standard limes!
How to make vegan graham cracker crust
- Use a food processor to process the graham crackers, sugar, and salt
- With the processor running, pour in melted vegan butter
- Using a rubber spatula, mix the mixture well
- Use a half a Tablespoon to fill each mini cupcake liner and pack it down
- Bake at 350F for 6-8 minutes
How to make key lime pie filling
If you’ve never made custard before, listen up! Following these instructions is crucial for getting a fool-proof custard filling.
- Start by mixing the lime juice and corn starch to make a slurry
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the coconut milk and maple syrup
- Once the coconut milk mixture is hot, simultaneously whisk and slowly pour the lime juice mixture into the coconut milk
- Whisk constantly for 8-10 minutes until the mixture comes together. It should be a pudding-like consistency
- To check doneness, swipe finger along the back of a spoon (shown above). The mixture should stay separated!
- Remove from heat and whisk the lime zest in. Let cool slightly before filling bites
Fill each mini cupcake liner with 1 Tablespoon of filling and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. To check doneness, lightly touch the top of one. It should be jiggly and set.
Can this recipe be made into a standard pie?
Yes! The measurements work for a standard pie pan too.
How to store and freeze vegan key lime pie bites
These pie bites keep best in the fridge in an airtight container for about 1 week.
You can freeze key lime pie bites in the freezer for 2-3 months. Remove from the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge before eating.
If you tried this vegan key lime recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
If you want more bite-sized desserts, you’ll LOVE:
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Bites
Vegan Raspberry Cheesecake Bites
Matcha Cheesecake Bites
Black Bean Brownie Bites
Vegan Key Lime Pie Bites
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 10 full sheets graham crackers (use a brand/variety without honey to ensure they are vegan)
- 5 Tablespoons vegan butter melted (I like Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- pinch salt
Key Lime Pie Filling:
- 1/3 cup lime juice roughly 2-3 limes depending on size
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 14.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- zest of 1 lime
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a mini cupcake tin with liners.
- Add graham crackers, sugar, and salt to the food processor. Pulse to break up graham crackers.
- With the food processor on low, pour in melted vegan butter. The mixture will begin to resemble wet sand.
- Stop the food processor and stir well using a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Fill each mini cupcake liner with 1/2 Tablespoon of the mixture. There will be some leftover crust, so save it as a topping!
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make your filling.
To Make the Filling:
- Juice your limes into a measuring cup until you have 1/3 cup of lime juice. Add cornstarch and give it a good stir. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the coconut milk and maple syrup.
- Once the coconut milk mixture is hot (might even start to bubble a bit!) Slowly pour in the lime juice mixture. Whisk constantly for 8-10 minutes. The mixture will come together and resemble the thickness of a custard or looser pudding. It should very nicely coat the back of a spoon. Meaning when you coat the back of the spoon and drag your finger down it, the mixture doesn’t flow back together.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the lime zest. Let cool slightly.
Assemble Pie Bites:
- Pour 1 Tablespoon of filling into each cupcake liner. Place in the fridge and allow to set for 1-2 hours. To check doneness, lightly touch the top on one. It should be jiggly and fully set when you remove the wrapper.
- Top with lime zest, extra graham cracker crumbs and a dollop of vegan whipped cream!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
6 thoughts on “Vegan Key Lime Pie Bites + VIDEO!”
These were a not too sweet light dessert for Easter. Thanks!
So glad you enjoyed this recipe. Thank you!
Do you think I could use biscoff cookies instead of graham crackers? If so how many would be equivalent to the amount of graham crackers you used?
I think they would substitute great, but I’m not sure how many cookies you’d want to use. I would recommend starting with 16 cookies and evaluating the consistency from there!
These were really delicious and everyone who tried them were really impresssd. I made these with 16 biscoff cookies rather than Graham crackers. This was the crust was very good but a bit buttery so I Wallis recommend a few more cookies or a bit less butter. All in all, super yummy!
Love the use of biscoff cookies! So happy you enjoyed this recipe 🙂