Raise yo hand if you’re a chocolate addict like me? I’m team vanilla when it comes to cake and ice cream, but nothing beats a decadent truffle or fudgy brownie. This healthy brownie recipe is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, vegan, and is made with an absurd secret ingredient – black beans!
For those of you who have never heard of this craze is probably thinking I’ve gone mad, but it’s surprisingly an amazing ingredient for brownies. I don’t know how anyone discovered this, but black beans can actually be a great substitute for flour in gluten-free baking; especially brownies.
Tip: The most crucial step in this brownie recipe is pureeing the black beans to the right consistency. The last thing you want are pieces of black beans in your black bean brownies! A food processor works great for this task, but if you do not have a food processor, I recommend a quality blender or mashing them with the backside of a fork. This method may take some more elbow grease, but it works!
The flavor of cocoa powder masks any trace of black beans. In fact, these black bean brownies make a great pre-workout snack since this lovely legume packs in some fiber and protein. Just pop a couple in your mouth for a filling snack. Did I really just suggest eating brownies before working out? Why yes, yes I did 😉 Try lathering on some almond butter for a delicious snack upgrade too. These brownie bites are chocolatey, fudgy, decadent, and flat-out delicious.
Not to mention super healthy, but that’s just an added bonus. 😉
If you tried these vegan black bean brownies, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Black Bean BrowniesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 15 ounce can black beans no salt added
- 2 flax eggs 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed + 5 Tablespoons water, can substitute with 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (can substitute with cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing ground flax seed and water. Place in fridge.
- Drain and rinse black beans in a colander
- Put black beans in blender or food processor
- Blend the black beans into a smooth consistency
- Transfer black beans to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add melted coconut oil and vanilla.
- Remove flax eggs from the fridge and put in a bowl with black beans. Mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and salt
- Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl with wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped walnuts
- Spray your nonstick baking pan or mini cupcake tin with nonstick cooking spray
- Fill cupcake tins about 3/4 full
- Baker for 13-15 minutes
- Check if brownies are done by inserting a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean
- Remove brownies from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes
- Using a butter knife, carefully remove brownies from tin and let cool completely on a cooling rack
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!