Brainstorming ways to break up your monotonous lunch routine? This chickpea salad sandwich is made for you. Mashed chickpeas mixed with avocado and dill, this plant-based sandwich filling is the perfect recipe for a vegan sandwich. Pile on the fresh veggies and use some whole grain bread for a delicious, healthy “tuna salad”.
This post was originally published May 2017
Calling all chickpea lovers, and sandwich lovers too.
Vegan sandwiches may seem like a pipe shot dream as most sandwiches include layers of meat. This chickpea salad sandwich recipe here is using a filling made up of chickpeas and avocado.
Crush your vegan sandwich game with some chickpea salad!
Ingredients for a chickpea salad sandwich
- 1 Can of chickpeas
- 1 Avocado
- Celery (for crunch)
- Lemon juice
In place of mayonnaise, avocado is used to create this vegan sandwich filler.
How to make chickpea salad
Smash chickpeas with avocado until desired consistency is reached. I like to still have large pieces of the chickpeas for a texture element, but it’s totally up to you here!
Dry vs Canned Chickpeas
Canned chickpeas are definitely recommended for this recipe. You could soak try chickpeas overnight and cook them to use in the chickpea salad, but it’s much easier to used canned chickpeas.
Next, add the remaining ingredients and mix well!
Just like tuna salad, I love adding chopped celery to this chickpea recipe. It’s the key element in making a nice crunch and a tasty texture element. This recipe is so easy to make which makes it a perfect choice for lunches!
How long does chickpea salad keep?
This recipe will keep for a few days in the fridge; however, the avocado will brown. It’s still okay to eat, but it does not look as appetizing. Store the chickpea salad in an airtight container in the fridge.
My recommendation is to make right before building the sandwiches! It’s super easy to whip up if you have the time. If you plan on meal prepping for lunch with this recipe, I recommend mixing everything together the night before and making the sandwiches the day of.
Other ways to enjoy this chickpea salad beside the obvious sandwich:
- For a low-carb and gluten-free option, try eating this chickpea salad in a lettuce wrap instead of bread! It will taste just as good with far fewer carbs too.
- Spread on crackers or pita chips for a delicious appetizer or even on celery for a healthy snack.
- Forgo the bread and make a chickpea salad wrap!
Sandwich Topping Ideas:
- Lettuce (romaine, spinach, etc.)
- Shredded carrots
If you tried this chickpea salad sandwich for your next lunch recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
No Mayo Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 celery stalks chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
Sandwich Topping Suggestions:
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Cut avocado lengthwise and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop into the bowl.
- Mash with the back of a fork or a potato masher until desired consistency is reached. I like mine with some larger chunks still intact.
- Mix in celery, dill, paprika, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Spread onto bread and add desired toppings.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links that do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!