Mashed chickpeas, red grapes, celery, and sunflower seeds make up this simple chickpea salad recipe. Nothing fishy here with this vegan tuna salad recipe! Best of all, it only takes 10 ingredients to make.
It’s that back-to-school, brown paper baggin’ it time of year and even though I’m long past my school years (and I don’t have kids), I’m always on the hunt for simple and quick lunch recipes.
What I love about this vegan tuna salad:
- Mashed chickpeas: High in fiber and protein but NO fishy taste 🙂
- Vegan mayo: Healthier than traditional mayo
- Red grapes: Add a nice texture and sweet element to the mix
- Celery: A healthy crunch
- Sunflower Seeds: Again, a healthy crunch and have an added dose of healthy fats
- Dill: Dill just makes everything taste better (one of my personal favorite seasonings!)
- Dill Pickle!: Yes, totally optional, but I’m a pickle fan and it adds a wonderful flavor and crunch
When I’m planning out lunches, my mind defaults to salads. They’re quick, easy, and healthy which are normally the boxes I’m trying to check.
But with a few healthy swaps, a sandwich doesn’t have to be this unhealthy option! For this sandwich, I use vegan mayo, whole grain bread, and pile on veggies for my fixings.
Gluten-free? No problem! This recipe is so versatile and I got substitutes for you below!
How to make vegan tuna salad:
This recipe is as simple as it gets! Mash the chickpeas to your desired texture. I like mine slightly larger, like in the photo above, but it’s entirely up to you! Add everything else into a mixing bowl and you got yourself a vegan sandwich filling for the week.
Just like that you just mastered meal prepping for lunches. Go you!
Variations of this chickpea salad:
There’s no cookie-cutter way to make this mashed chickpea salad! Here’s some ways to mix it up:
- Substitute sunflower seeds with walnuts or omit altogether for a nut-free recipe
- Add craisins for an additional sweet element
- Substitute vegan mayo with avocado! This is a great no-mayo option
- Pair this vegan tuna salad with lettuce wraps instead of bread for my GF babes
- Pile on tomatoes, lettuce, red onions, and cucumber for a FAT sandwich!
- Have a side salad or sweet potato chips for a healthy, wholesome vegan lunch
If you tried this vegan tuna salad recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan "Tuna" Salad Sandwiches
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup red grapes quartered
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1/4 teaspoon each)
- 1 Tablespoon kosher dill pickle finely chopped; optional
Sandwich Ingredients (toppings are all suggestions and optional):
- whole grain bread
- tomato sliced
- red onion sliced finely
- avocado sliced
- cucumber sliced
- In a medium mixing bowl, add drained chickpeas. Using the back of a fork, mash chickpeas to desired consistency. Mine were slightly mashed, but still some larger chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well using a rubber spatula. Adjust seasonings as needed
- Spread about 1/3 cup of salad on a slice of bread. Pile on lettuce, tomato, red onions, cucumber, avocado, etc. Top with another slice of bread.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!