What if I told you this pulled pork wasn’t actually pork at all, but it’s vegan AND delicious?! Would you believe me? This jackfruit pulled pork pizza is what dreams are made of. Red onion, BBQ sauce covered jackfruit, pineapple, and jalapeno make this pizza recipe a real crowd pleaser!
Say whatttt? Yeah you read that right! BBQ jackfruit pizza coming in hot and it is everythingggg. I sometimes get that strong craving for some cheesy, carb-loaded goodness and this definitely fits the bill.
Nothing screams comfort food more than a BBQ pizza and what’s better than a healthier vegetarian version that tastes amazing?
What is jackfruit pulled pork?
Jackfruit is a massive tropical fruit. Even though it is not native to the States, it’s gaining its popularity in the vegan world. Jackfruit has a meat-like texture and is neutral in flavor. It’s a vegan/vegetarian wondrous food that makes a perfect substitute for pulled pork sandwiches or in this case, pulled pork pizza!
I first ate jackfruit at this vegan restaurant in Austin, Texas that was super hipster but really cute! I was really skeptical at first (how can a fruit really substitute for meat?) but I was so shocked at how good it was! I knew it was something I would want to experiment with in my own kitchen.
Where to buy jackfruit:
- You can find canned jackfruit at most Asian markets or online if you do not live close to one. Trader Joe’s even carries it now!
- Make sure to purchase canned jackfruit in brine or water and NOT syrup! This would make for an overly sweet disaster.
HOW TO PREPARE PULLED JACKFRUIT:
Even though this jackfruit resembles pulled pork, I find it way easier to “mash” it rather than “shredding” with a fork!
- Start by heating jackfruit on medium/high heat
- Using a potato masher, start mashing jackfruit until the chunks break up
Variations of this jackfruit pulled pork pizza:
- Substitute cheese for a vegan brand to make this recipe totally vegan
- Buy or make a gluten-free crust
- Omit jalapenos if you prefer non-spicy food
Pair with a salad for a wholesome, easy weeknight dinner or make on the weekend for a comforting carb-filled meal. However you choose to enjoy it, just know this pizza recipe is worth it!
If you tried this jackfruit pulled pork pizza, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
BBQ Jackfruit PizzaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 package pre-made dough (or homemade)
- 1 16 oz bottle barbecue sauce or homemade (about 2 cups)
- 1 28 oz can jackfruit (in brine or water)
- 1 jalapeno cut in thin wheels
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks
- 1/2 red onion sliced finely
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese (can substitute with vegan cheese I like Daiya brand)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (can substitute with vegan cheese)
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- If making dough from scratch, follow recipe and set aside to rise
- Drain can of jackfruit and place in pan on medium heat. Let cook for 5 minutes
- Once jackfruit is tender, use a backside of a fork or a potato masher to break apart the jackfruit until pulled pork consistency is reached.
- Add 1 cup of barbecue sauce. Let cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat
- Lay out the dough and spread a thin layer of the remaining barbecue sauce
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Evenly space out onions, pineapple, and jalapeno slices
- Top with jackfruit
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted
- Let cool and serve immediately. Leftover keep in fridge for about a week.
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons liquid aminos
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!