What if I told you this pulled pork wasn’t actually pork at all, but it’s vegan AND delicious?! Would you believe me? This jackfruit pulled pork pizza is what dreams are made of. Red onion, BBQ sauce covered jackfruit, pineapple, and jalapeno make this jackfruit pizza recipe a real crowd pleaser!
Yeah, you read that right! BBQ jackfruit pizza coming in hot and it is everythingggg. I sometimes get that strong craving for some cheesy, carb-loaded goodness and this definitely fits the bill.
Nothing screams comfort food more than a BBQ pizza and what’s better than a healthier vegetarian version that tastes amazing?!
What is jackfruit pulled pork?
Jackfruit is a massive tropical fruit. Even though it is not native to the States, it’s gaining its popularity in the vegan world. Jackfruit has a meat-like texture and is neutral in flavor. It’s a vegan/vegetarian wondrous food that makes a perfect substitute for pulled pork sandwiches or in this case, pulled pork pizza!
Ingredients for jackfruit pizza
- Pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- BBQ sauce
- Canned jackfruit
- Vegan cheese
- Red onions
Where to buy jackfruit:
- You can find canned jackfruit at most Asian markets or online if you do not live close to one. Trader Joe’s even carries it now!
- Make sure to purchase canned jackfruit in brine or water and NOT syrup! This would make for an overly sweet disaster.
HOW TO PREPARE PULLED JACKFRUIT:
Even though this jackfruit resembles pulled pork, I find it way easier to “mash” it rather than “shredding” with a fork!
- Start by heating jackfruit on medium/high heat
- Using a potato masher, start mashing jackfruit until the chunks break up
- Remove seeds and casings from the jackfruit (seen in the third image above)
- Mix in the BBQ sauce!
Best BBQ sauce for jackfruit pizza
Any of your personal favorite brands will work here! I used Trader Joe’s Kansas City Style BBQ sauce in this recipe.
You can even make your own BBQ sauce!
What’s the best vegan cheese for pizza?
Vegan cheese that actually melts and tastes decent can be hard to come by. Luckily so many brands are coming out with new shredded cheeses to try! Here are some brands to keep an eye out for:
- Trader joe’s vegan cheese – yes! It’s actually affordable and that’s what I used for this recipe
- Daiya shreds
- So Delicious vegan cheese
Variations of this jackfruit pulled pork pizza:
- Substitute vegan cheese with mozzarella if non-vegan
- Buy or make a gluten-free crust
- Omit jalapenos if you prefer non-spicy food
Pair with a salad for a wholesome, easy weeknight dinner or make on the weekend for a comforting carb-filled meal. Whichever way you choose to enjoy it, just know this pizza recipe is worth it!
If you tried this BBQ jackfruit pizza recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
BBQ Jackfruit Pizza
- 1 pizza dough store bought or homemade. Recipe I used is in the notes.
- 1 cup BBQ sauce divided
- 2 14.5-ounce cans jackfruit (in brine or water)
- 1 small jalapeno cut in thin wheels
- 1/4 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/4 red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese can substitute with mozzarella if not vegan. I used Trader Joe's vegan cheese
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If making dough from scratch, follow the recipe and set aside to rise.
- Drain can of jackfruit and place in pan on medium heat. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Once the jackfruit is tender, use a backside of a fork or a potato masher to break apart the jackfruit until pulled pork consistency is reached. Remove seeds and casings from seeds.
- Add 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Layout the dough and spread a thin layer of the remaining barbecue sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Evenly space out onions, pineapple, and jalapeno slices. Top with jackfruit.
- Bake in oven for 13-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted
- Let cool and serve immediately. Leftover keep in the fridge for about a week.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!