Curried chickpea salad is the ultimate vegan lunch recipe! Creamy mashed chickpeas combined with curry powder, celery, and raisins make a delicious Indian-inspired sandwich filler.
Hello sandwich lovers! I got a lunch recipe for you.
Curried chickpea salad is packed with great ingredients like cashews and celery for crunch, raisins for sweetness, and vegan mayo for creaminess.
I LOVE this recipe because it is so easy to make (umm only 8 ingredients and 10 minutes) as well as SUPER TASTY.
Ingredients for curry chickpea salad
- Canned chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- Vegan mayo (I like Follow Your Heart brand)
- Curry powder
- Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
How to make curried chickpea salad
Drain a can of chickpeas and mash using either the backside of a fork or a potato masher. At this step, you can mash the chickpeas as much or little as you’d like. I like mine to still have some chickpeas intact so I aim for a chunky texture.
Add the rest of the ingredients into the mixing bowl and combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Can chickpea salad be made in advance?
Yes! Prepare the curried chickpea salad and store it in an airtight container. When ready to eat, simply assemble a sandwich. You can make the sandwich in advance to bring to work or school as well.
Ways to customize this recipe
- Add a scoop of this chickpea salad to a salad for a low carb vegan lunch
- Put it in a wrap instead of a sandwich!
- Instead of vegan mayo, substitute with Greek yogurt or a vegan yogurt
- Swap out the raisins with fresh mango
- Use chopped pickles or relish instead of celery for a sweet and tangy crunch
- Shredded carrots or chopped bell pepper for more veggies!
If you tried this curried chickpea salad recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Curried Chickpea Salad SandwichPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo I use Follow Your Heart brand
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cashews chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon squeezed about 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- whole-grain bread
- leafy greens
- sliced tomato
- thinly sliced red onion
- Add drained chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Using the backside of a fork or a potato masher, mash chickpeas until desired consistency is reached.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Assemble sandwiches when ready to eat.
- If you want more sweetness, add extra raisins or even some agave nectar or maple syrup.
- Mash the chickpeas as little or much as you'd like! I personally like mine on the chunkier side so I leave some chickpeas intact.
- Add shredded carrots or finely chopped bell pepper for more crunch (and color!)
- Instead of a sandwich, serve chickpea salad on top of a salad, in a wrap, or with crackers for a snack!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links that do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!