This light and refreshing Summer market salad is packed with your favorite Summer produce and drizzled in a sweet and tangy honey mustard dressing. Lighten things up with this easy, seasonal meal!
Ah Summer… can you tell it’s my favorite season? I just love Summer recipes and there’s been an abundance on the blog lately! From delicious berry popsicles to pesto vegan pasta salad, there’s so many fruits and vegetables I love!
Summer market salad is the perfect combination of vegetables in season – like seared sweet corn, fresh grape tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, and creamy avocado – all on a bed of fresh greens.
Add a simple homemade (vegetarian or vegan) honey mustard dressing for a taste of sunshine in every bite.
What’s a market salad?
A market salad is just a term that means it includes a bunch of produce in season. It’s basically all the veggies compiled from a Farmer’s Market haul.
Eating in season has so many benefits. It’s better for the environment because produce isn’t being shipped great lengths, it supports local farmers, it’s cheaper because there’s an abundance, and it typically tastes best because you’re consuming the produce at its peak!
For the Salad:
- Olive oil
- Leafy greens
- Grape tomatoes
- Red onion
- Great Northern Beans
For the Dressing:
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to Make a Summer Market Salad
This yummy salad is satisfying for lunch or dinner thanks to the wholesome, hearty ingredients. There’s just a little bit of cooking and assembling, and then you’ve got a whole salad meal quicker than you can say summer fun.
- First, shuck and cook the corn. Add oil to a large pan over medium heat, and cook the kernels for 8-10 minutes. Rotate the corn cobs regularly. Remove from the heat and let cool. Once cool, cut off the kernals.
- Meanwhile, prep the remaining ingredients. Then add all of the goodness to large salad or mixing bowl, starting with the greens. Load on the tomatoes, onion, corn, beans, and parsley.
- Top the Summer market salad with homemade honey mustard dressing and toss well. Add avocado and give one more final toss.
Tip: You can soak the red onion slices in cold water for 5-10 minutes if they taste a bit too bitter.
How to Make Honey Mustard Dressing
You guessed it, honey and mustard are the prime ingredients in this dressing! Apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper are mixed in to create this creamy dressing.
Either whisk ingredients in a small mixing bowl or add to a mason jar and shake! Homemade dressing is SO easy to make and it is much healthier than the store-bought varieties.
Note: If vegan, you can substitute honey with maple syrup or even vegan honey and it will taste just as delicious! You may need to adjust the ratios of mustard to sweetener though.
Summer Market Salad Recipe Variations
Make this Summer market salad your own with any of these recipe tweaks:
- Use agave instead of honey for a vegan-friendly “honey” mustard dressing.
- Feel free to use frozen (thawed) corn instead of fresh. But I don’t recommend you use canned corn.
- Swap great northern beans with chickpeas.
- Add extra goodies to the salad! Top with homemade vegan bacon bits, chopped nuts, or seeds for crunch.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
Leftovers keep for a few days, just make sure to keep the dressing separate!
If you tried this Summer market salad, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Summer Market Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
- 4 cups greens romaine, spinach, spring mix, arugula, or kale works
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in halves
- 1/2 small red onion finely sliced
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 medium avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil can substitute with avocado or grapeseed oil
- 2 ears of corn shucked
Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1/4 cup honey can substitute with maple syrup if vegan
- 1/4 cup olive oil can substitute with avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1.5 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pan, heat 1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil on low-medium heat. Add corn and let cook until light golden brown (about 8-10 minutes). Rotate corn cobs every couple of minutes.
- Carefully cut the kernels off corn cobs.
- Add all ingredients for the dressing to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. You can also add to a mason jar and shake the dressing to combine. Add more honey for sweetness, mustard for tanginess.
- Combine greens, tomatoes, onions, corn, beans, and parsley in a large salad bowl. Add desired amount of dressing and toss. Add the avocado and give it another toss. Serve.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!