This jicama salsa is one of my personal favorite jicama recipes! Why you ask? It’s loaded with healthy ingredients like mango and jalapenos and is a tasty alternative to the traditional salsa. It only requires seven ingredients and can be whipped up in 20 minutes flat. Pair with some crunchy tortilla chips for the ultimate appetizer recipe!
Yas it’s salsa time! While my body aches for this warmer Summer weather, I dream of cool margaritas. And what goes better with margs than some chips and a refreshing, bold salsa?
Salsas are the perfect way to spice up main dishes or salads because they pack in the flavor without the calories. Behold – jicama mango salsa is here to shake things up and add some pizzazz to your snacking!
What’s even better is all the ingredients are super healthy, so this vegan, gluten-free snack is refreshing and guilt-free – winning!!
What is jicama?
Jicama is a root vegetable that is known as the “Mexican turnip”. It’s a popular vegetable in Mexican, Asian, Central and South American cuisines.
You may or may not have seen jicama in your grocery store before, but it is a rather larger spherical shape that resembles a potato. It is rather crisp and mild in taste but packs a nice crunch (kind of like an apple!) It’s delicious to eat raw, or can be substituted for potatoes as a low carb option.
Besides this salsa recipe, jicama is an excellent addition to coleslaw or even salads and sandwiches. The flavor of jicama pairs wonderfully with sweet mango and spicy jalapeños.
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
Where can I find jicama?
Jicama is typically in season from late Fall throughout the Spring. You can look at your local farmer’s market around this time or any Asian or Mexican food markets. Lately, I’ve been having luck finding it at my regular grocery store too!
How to Make Jicama Mango Salsa
This jicama salsa recipe is so simple to make. Simply add all the chopped ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix well! This salsa recipe is great to make in advance as the flavors improve!
Recipe Tips and Variations
- This recipe calls for raw onion which is not always everyone’s favorite (including myself). If you fit into this category, try soaking the chopped onions in cool water for 5 minutes before adding to salsa. This helps eliminate any bitterness!
- Although I make with mango, feel free to use other fruits if you like. Pineapple, papaya, and strawberries are all great in jicama salsa.
- If you prefer a super spicy salsa with a bigger kick of heat, leave the seeds in the jalapenos before chopping.
- Want to make it not quite so spicy? Use only 1/4 of a jalapeno and remove all of the seeds. Or you can totally skip the jalapeno all together!
- Make the salsa up to a day in advance. The longer all of the fruity, bright goodness sits together the more flavorful they become together.
Jicama Salsa Serving Suggestions
This easy recipe is great for a snack paired with plantain chips or tortilla chips.
Enjoy the salsa as an appetizer before serving your favorite Southwestern-inspired main dishes. I love to eat basically an entire bowlful before moving onto vegan tempeh tacos or black bean and corn burgers.
The fresh and fruity mango and jicama salsa also makes a delicious topping for tacos, salads, or fish!
How long does homemade salsa last?
Store fruit salsa in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you tried this jicama salsa, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Jicama Mango Salsa
- 1 medium jicama peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 mango diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 red onion finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 jalapeno finely diced (remove seeds)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the jicama by peeling the skin off with a vegetable peeler and dicing. Add to large mixing bowl
- Add remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy with tortilla chips or top your favorite tacos!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!