Sweet and tangy apples and hearty oats are mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. All these cozy Autumn ingredients you love are layered and baked to tender, crispy perfection. This vegan apple crisp is the ultimate Fall dessert!
If you have a craving for a sweet taste of Fall in a bowl, you’ve come to the right place.
This easy vegan apple crisp recipe is here to make all of your Autumn dessert dreams come true!
Crunchy tart apples are tossed with sugar and spice (and everything nice). Then they’re topped with a crumbly blend of oats and more cinnamon sugar goodness, and baked to a perfectly crisp crisp.
You get that spiced sweetness you love, plus the great balance of textures from the tender apples and crispy oat crumble topping. So yeah basically, it’s perfect.
Bake up a batch (it can even be made ahead!) for the holidays, potlucks, or as a cozy warm dessert any night of the week.
For the Apple Filling
- Granny smith apples (or your fave – see notes!)
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
For the Crisp Topping
- Whole wheat
- Baking powder
How to Make the Best Vegan Apple Crisp
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then prep the apples for the filling. Peel and core them, and cut into thin 1/4″ slices. Place the apples in a large bowl.
Add the sugar, spices, vanilla extract, cornstarch, and lemon juice to the bowl. Use a spatula to mix so the apple slices get evenly coated.
Next make the crispy oat crumble topping. Combine the topping ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
Spread the spiced apples in an even layer on the bottom of an 8×8″ (2-quart) baking dish. Add the topping over the top.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Your kitchen will smell fall-mazing!
It will be hard to wait, but be sure to give it a few good minutes to cool before you serve and enjoy.
- I like to make sweet apple crisp with tangy granny smith apples. But you can use any variety of apples you prefer. Honeycrisp and Gala are also popular (and tasty!) choices. Or do a combo of apples!
- Make this a gluten free apple crisp recipe by using your favorite gluten-free flour alternative.
- Swap coconut oil with melted vegan butter, if you like.
- This recipe is easy to double. It serves 8 as-is, but double the ingredients and prepare in a 9×13″ dish for 16 servings.
We say it’s a suggestion, but let’s be real… a scoop of nondairy vanilla ice cream really is a must-have alongside a serving of warm apple crisp.
Or, you can get away with a dollop of dairy-free whipped cream.
Or go crazy and load your dessert with both! I wouldn’t blame you one bit.
How long does homemade apple crisp last?
Leftovers will stay good for up to 4 days. Let the crisp cool completely, then transfer to a container with a lid and keep in the refrigerator.
The flavors get more deliciously intense as the ingredients hang out together. So this dessert is great to make a day or so ahead and keep in the fridge! Reheat in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, until the apple crisp is warm throughout.
If you tried this vegan apple crisp recipe, let me know in the comments and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Apple Crisp
- 6 apples I used Granny Smith, see notes for substitutions
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- vegan vanilla ice cream optional, but not really.
- 8×8 baking dish or other 2 quart baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and core apples. Cut apples into thin (about 1/4-inch) slices. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the "filling" ingredients to the mixing bowl. Mix well using a rubber spatula. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the topping ingredients. Mix well.
- Add apple mixture to the baking dish. Spread into an even layer. Top with topping. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!