The flavors are in the name! Sweet and sour sauce enrobed with crispy tofu, veggies, and pineapple! Serve over rice for a delicious vegan dinner!
Sweet and sour chicken was one of my FAVs to order for Chinese takeout.
It’s safe to say this sweet and sour tofu recipe is WAY more healthy, but it’s oh so satisfying!
The tofu is perfectly crunchy, the veggies add a great touch and the sauce. OH THE SAUCE. It is straight fire!
Pair it with rice (or cauliflower rice) for an easy yet healthy dinner.
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Tomato Paste
- Liquid Aminos (soy sauce or coconut aminos work great as a substitute here)
- Coconut sugar (you can substitute with brown sugar or cane sugar)
- Rice Vinegar
- Pineapple juice
- Corn starch
- Bell Pepper
What is Sweet and Sour Sauce?
It’s a Chinese sauce that only requires a few ingredients! Both sugar and pineapple juice make it sweet and vinegar gives it a nice sour kick. Add a little cornstarch to make it thick, and you have a delicious sauce!
It’s similar to Huli Huli sauce which is Hawaiian (and equally as good!)
How to Make Sweet and Sour Tofu
Start out by making the sauce:
- Whisk the tomato paste, liquid aminos, sugar, vinegar, and pineapple juice on low-medium heat. The sauce will thicken up.
- Mix together water and cornstarch to make a slurry. Add to the sauce and whisk well.
The reason you don’t want to add cornstarch to the sauce off the bat is so it will not clump up. Therefore, the cornstarch needs to be dissolved in water first, making a slurry.
Let’s talk tofu prep:
The tofu is a crucial component to this recipe and it’s important to prep it right.
- Use extra-firm tofu! This is super important to getting crispy and chewy tofu as oppose to a soggy mess.
- Press the tofu for 20-30 minutes. The longer the better!
- Mix with cornstarch before cooking it. This helps build crispy edges.
- Use a non-stick pan. Again, this part is kinda crucial because the tofu will stick BAD to stainless steel pans.
- Don’t move around tofu when it’s cooking. Let it form a nice crispy edge before flipping it.
If you follow the steps above, your tofu will come out perfect every time!
Move the tofu aside and cook the veggies. In the same pan, sautee the bell pepper, onions, and pineapple chunks. I only cook them for 5-7 minutes so they are still a bit crunchy!
Add the tofu back to the pan and pour the sauce on top. Cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
How To Store Sweet and Sour Tofu
Leftovers keep great in the fridge for about a week. Keep the tofu separate from the rice and you’ll be ready to reheat when you want to eat again!
How to Reheat Sweet and Sour Tofu
This tofu dish reheats wonderfully! Simply microwave the tofu with rice (or make fresh rice) and the flavor and texture will not be sacrificed.
Alternatively, you can reheat the sweet and sour tofu in a pan over low-medium heat.
Can you freeze sweet and sour tofu?
I would not recommend freezing this dish. The texture of the tofu would be very chewy and not ideal.
This plant-based recipe is easy to whip up making it perfect for a weeknight meal. Serve with rice and top with some green onions and sesame seeds for a well put together meal!
If you tried this sweet and sour tofu recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Sweet and Sour TofuPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil or any neutral oil; divided
- 1 red bell pepper cut into large squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into large squares
- 1 yellow onion cut into large squares
- white rice
- green onions chopped
- sesame seeds
- Press the tofu: Wrap tofu in paper towels or kitchen towel and sandwich between two plates. Place a heavy object on top and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
Make the Sauce:
- In a saucepan over low-medium heat, whisk together tomato paste, liquid aminos, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and pineapple juice. Bring to a low boil whisking frequently.
- Whisk together the water and cornstarch to create a slurry and add it to the pot.
- Constantly whisk the sauce until thickened (about 10 minutes).
Make the Tofu:
- Once the tofu is pressed, cut it into cubes and add to a mixing bowl. Mix with 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch and gently mix together.
- Using a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tablespoon coconut oil. Add tofu and arrange it into an even layer. Let the tofu cook until golden brown on each side (do no move around the tofu when it is cooking. This will help it form a nice crispy outer edge).
- Once the tofu is done cooking, set aside.
Make the Veggies:
- Using the same pan as the tofu, melt the remaining Tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add bell peppers, onions, and pineapple chunks. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tofu back to the pan and add the sauce. Mix together and cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve the sweet and sour tofu with rice. Top with green onions and sesame seeds!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!