Bibimbap bowls…. now say that ten times fast! This veggie packed bibimbap bowl is everything to me and I want it to be for you too.
In case you’ve never even heard of a bibimbap bowl, it’s a dish common in Korean cuisine. Typically it includes meat but not in this case! It’s a hearty bowl packed with brown rice, veggies, and alllll the sauce. Gochujang sauce is a savory, spicy chili sauce made out of fermented soy beans and salt. It has the perfect amount of spice with tons of flavor. So I highly suggest you get your hands on some of this stuff and get on with this recipe stat.
Bibimbap bowls are a nutrient-dense, wholesome meal featuring carbs, protein and vegetables. I personally love adding a copious amount of vegetables; making this recipe a filling and healthy lunch option. This recipe is easy, flavorful, spicy, wholesome, and delicious.
A few months ago, I had the opportunity to travel to South Korea where I was on a mission to get an authentic bibimbap bowl (and all the skin care products!) Come to my surprise, it was a lot more difficult to find some vegetarian friendly options when I was there. Don’t get me wrong, it can be done, but it takes some work. I found this tiny restaurant and had Google translate “no meat” and “no fish” for me (I know, so touristy, right?) but they created a dish that was out of this world. Not to mention the kimchi had me droolinggggg. I’m not saying you have to go to Korea to get this experience, but I’m here to reassure you that this dish is worth the hype.
- ½ cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1-2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 package (32 ounces) shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 4 cups spinach
- ½ cup mung bean sprouts
- ⅛ cup green onions
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons gochujang sauce*
- soy sauce or liquid aminos for a GF option (optional)
- Sriracha (optional)
- kimchi (not shown, but highly recommended)
- Bring 1 cup water in a small pot to a rolling boil on high heat
- Rinse brown rice in strainer for 30 seconds
- Put uncooked rice in water and reduce to low-medium heat. Put lid on pot and let simmer.
- Heat sesame oil in small pan on medium heat. When hot, add mushrooms.
- Once mushrooms are tender, remove from pan and add spinach
- Keep mixing spinach until wilted
- Peel cucumber and carrot and slice into small matchsticks
- Chop green onion
- When rice is fully cooked, all water should be absorbed. Fluff with fork.
- To assemble bowls, add rice, then place veggies on top.
- Spoon the gochujang sauce in the middle.
- Top with sesame seeds, soy sauce and Sriracha.
What toppings would you choose for this bibimbap bowl?
You can find this recipe along with other creations I’ve made on Brit + Co!