You’ve spent the last couple months thinking about holiday parties and soirees even though it feels like Halloween was just yesterday! Whether you have potlucks, white elephant parties or family get-togethers, this dessert is sure to be a crowd pleaser, not only because it’s a holiday classic, but also because it’s made with healthy ingredients. That’s right, this peppermint bark is paleo, vegan, gluten free AND yummy. Go ahead — give your holiday traditions a healthy spin this year!
Start off by melting the chocolate chips for the first layer.
You’ll want to place this in the freezer and let it cool a bit while you make the second layer.
Mix the ingredients for the top and spread over chocolate.
Top this bad boy with some crushed candy canes and you’re done!
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened
- ½ cup coconut butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 candy canes (try to find a brand without artificial dyes)
- Place chocolate chips in a double boiler and melt until the chocolate is a smooth consistency.
- Pour melted chocolate into a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place pan in fridge to let chocolate solidify.
- Mix together remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Take pan out of fridge and spread coconut mixture over the chocolate.
- Crush candy canes into small pieces and pour over top.
- Put in fridge until bark is hard (about 20-30 minutes).
- Remove from fridge and break into two-inch pieces.
- Store in fridge to prevent slight melting of the top layer.
You can find this recipe along with other creations I’ve made on Brit + Co!