Dark chocolate layered with a peppermint white chocolate and topped with crushed peppermints, this vegan peppermint bark recipe that is gluten-free and paleo, but most of all, a new holiday tradition!
This post was originally published on 12/7/15 and updated on 12/15/18 with new photos and a video.
Vegan peppermint bark?
Very much yes.
I’ve never been so excited about a vegan holiday treat. It’s super easy to make, festive, and an all-around crowd pleaser.
Whether you have potlucks, white elephant parties, or family get-togethers, most of the time we are scrambling to figure out what to make. I tend to contribute by bringing a sweet treat and this healthy dessert recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
I like to call this peppermint bark freezer bark because it tastes so good straight from the freezer. Due to the coconut oil and coconut butter, the top layer can get slightly melted when out in room temperature.
What’s in this vegan peppermint bark:
- Dark chocolate chips (I like Guittard brand the best!) but Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chocolate chips are vegan too
- Coconut butter (not to confuse it with coconut oil)
- Coconut oil (refined is best to eliminate coconut flavor)
- Peppermint extract
- Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Candy canes or peppermint candies
Note: You can look for a candy cane brand that is free of artificial dyes.
How to make vegan peppermint bark:
- Melt chocolate in double boiler or a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. You want to do this instead of directly melting chocolate over the heat source to prevent burning.
- Pour into parchment lined pan and freeze while making the second layer
- Slightly melt the coconut butter and coconut oil. Whisk in remaining ingredients until a smooth consistency is reached
- Remove chocolate layer from freezer and top with peppermint layer.
- Add crushed candy canes and place in freezer to set
Difference between coconut butter and coconut oil
While some may think these are the same products, coconut oil and coconut butter are two different ingredients. While coconut oil is just the fat from coconut, coconut butter is the fat as well as the coconut meat. As a result, it has a creamier and more buttery consistency than coconut oil.
Both are healthy fats and work great in desserts.
When making peppermint layer, it’s best to work with coconut butter and coconut oil slightly melted. The consistency of your ingredients can be different from mine based on temperature so it’s hard to say how soft it should be!
I recommend microwaving together for about 20 seconds so it has a thick icing consistency. You should be able to whisk together with ease.
Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper to remove bark without any issues. Once it’s fully frozen, the bark will be one solid piece that you can cut up in any shapes or sizes you’d like!
If you tried this healthy vegan peppermint bark recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Seven Ingredient Peppermint Bark
- Place chocolate chips in a double boiler or a glass bowl over a boiling pot of water and melt until the chocolate is a smooth consistency.
- Pour melted chocolate into an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to let chocolate solidify.
- Slightly melt the coconut oil and coconut butter until it’s a thick icing consistency. Add remaining ingredients and whisk together.
- Take pan out of the freezer and spread coconut mixture over the chocolate using a rubber spatula.
- Top with crushed candy canes or peppermint candies. Place in the freezer to set completely (about 1-2 hours)
- Once set, remove from the freezer and break into pieces.
- Store in freezer.
- If you do not have a double boiler, you can create one by placing a small pot into a slightly larger pot that is filled with a small amount of water.
- Use refined coconut oil if you don’t want a strong coconut flavor.
- If you are concerned about artificial colors and flavors in candy canes, I suggest buying a brand that fits those needs! During the holidays you should be able to find them in health food stores.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!