Searching for a delicious an easy hummus recipe? Look no further! This is the BEST hummus recipe. Tahini, chickpeas, olive oil, and seasonings make this dip healthy and delicious.
Have you ever wondered how to make hummus? Or have you ever tried and it just doesn’t taste like the real deal? This hummus recipe is beyond good and I took all the guesswork out of what it takes to create a delicious hummus recipe.
One time I tried making my own hummus and it came out awful. It lacked the creaminess and smoothness the store bought kind has.
- Mistake one, I used a blender. Unless you have some fancy blender, mine did not blend the chickpeas entirely smooth. I highly recommend a food processor for the job.
- Mistake two, I just threw all the ingredients into the blender and expected this creamy chickpea dip to come out fantastic….WRONG. It was kind of dry and piece-y, not smooth and velvety like traditional hummus recipes.
So I did my research to find the tricks into making a perfect hummus recipe. One that was simple, contained real ingredients and tastes better than store-bought hummus.
What is tahini
Tahini is a sesame seed paste that is one of the main ingredients in hummus. It is a staple in many Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. Tahini paste is easy to make, or it can be bought in the grocery store.
Where to buy tahini
Tahini paste can be found in the grocery store near peanut butters and other nut butters. It could be also be found in the ethnic food aisle. Alternately, it can be found online!
How to make the best hummus:
The most important factor I discovered was the order you put the ingredients into the food processor does in fact matter.
- Blend the tahini and lemon juice first. This adds air into the recipe and gives it a whipped texture.
- Next, add the chickpeas, and blend until smooth.
- Finally, add the oil, one tablespoon at a time, to emulsify the hummus.
This makes an amazing, smooth and delectable hummus dip. Between that and getting the seasonings just right, this hummus recipe is the cream of the crop and I can’t wait for you to give it a go.
This picture shown above is just the tahini, lemon juice, and garlic blended for about 45 seconds. Notice how different the tahini looks here than the picture of it standalone? This step is where the magic happens.
Once you add the remaining ingredients, you are left with some pretty legit hummus. The kind you can take to a party and reap in all the compliments type of hummus. Or if you are looking for a healthier snack option to take to work, that’s quite alright too.
Hummus is the perfect dip for parties, and snackers alike. It’s great on sandwiches, crackers, and even pasta (I swear!). What I love about hummus is it’s naturally vegan and healthy – so no junk food dip trying to be healthy here. It’s truly a healthy Mediterranean style dip and it’s SO easy to make.
If you tried the best hummus recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
How to Make the Best HummusPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/4 cup tahini sesame seed paste
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice approx. juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-15 ounce can chickpeas no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Pine nuts
- Chopped Parsley
- In a food processor, add tahini paste, garlic cloves, and lemon juice. Blend for 45 seconds to 1 minute
- Turn off the food processor and add chickpeas. Blend for 30 seconds
- Add olive oil 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Hummus should be smooth and velvety.
- If hummus is not smooth after 3 Tablespoons of olive oil, add water 1 Tablespoon at a time until completely blended.
- Add salt, cumin, and paprika and let blend for a few more seconds until well combined
- Serve with pita chips and raw vegetables
Tahini paste is a sesame paste that can be found online or in the grocery store near the peanut butter.
This recipe was adapted from Inspired Taste’s Hummus Recipe
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!