Searching for a delicious and easy hummus recipe? Look no further! This is the BEST hummus recipe. Tahini, chickpeas, olive oil, and seasonings paired with a few techniques make this recipe the creamiest and most delicious hummus!
This post was originally published in September 2017. Photos, tips, and the recipe have been updated.
We already know hummus is a tasty yet healthy dip, but did you know it’s super simple to make and tastes wayyyy better than the store bought kind?!
It’s true! Learn to make restaurant-style hummus with just a few simple ingredients.
What is hummus?
Hummus is a dip using chickpeas as the base and blending them with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and other seasonings. It’s popular in Middle Eastern dishes and makes a healthy topping for rice bowls, salads, or served with warm pita bread.
Ingredients in hummus
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Paprika, parsley, and toasted pine nuts (for topping)
What is tahini
Tahini is a sesame seed paste that is one of the main ingredients in hummus. It is a staple in many Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. Tahini paste is easy to make, or it can be bought in the grocery store.
Where to buy tahini
Tahini paste can be found in the grocery store near peanut butters and other nut butters. It could be also be found in the ethnic food aisle. Alternately, it can be found online!
How to make the best hummus:
The most important factor I discovered was the order you put the ingredients into the food processor does in fact matter.
- Blend the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings first. This adds air into the recipe and gives it a whipped texture.
- Next, add the chickpeas, and blend until smooth.
- Finally, slowly pour the olive oil in as the food processor is running, to emulsify the hummus.
This makes an amazing, smooth and delectable hummus dip. Between that and getting the seasonings just right, this hummus recipe is the cream of the crop and I can’t wait for you to give it a go.
The results are the BEST authentic hummus! The kind you can take to a party and reap in all the compliments type of hummus. Or if you are looking for a healthier snack option to take to work, that’s quite alright too.
What to serve with hummus
Serving hummus as an appetizer can make for a beautiful and colorful spread. Here are some ideas of foods to serve with hummus:
- Pita chips
- Pita bread (cut into quarters)
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Red bell pepper
Hummus is the perfect dip for parties, and snackers alike. It’s also great on sandwiches, crackers, and even pasta (I swear!). What I love about hummus is it’s naturally vegan and healthy – so no junk food dip trying to be healthy here. It’s truly a healthy Mediterranean style dip and it’s SO easy to make.
If you tried the best hummus recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
How to Make the Best HummusPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/4 cup tahini sesame seed paste
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice about juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pine nuts
- Chopped Parsley
- Add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings into the food processor and process until smooth.
- Turn off the food processor and add drained chickpeas. Blend until smooth.
- With the food processor on low, slowly pour olive oil into hummus. Turn off the food processor and season with salt, cumin, and paprika.
- Pour into a bowl and garnish with parsley, paprika, pine nuts, and/or olive oil (optional)
This recipe was adapted from Inspired Taste’s Hummus Recipe
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!