Cooked beets blended with chickpeas, tahini, lemon zest, and dill make the ultimate dip! This homemade hummus recipe is creamy, easy to make, and perfect for parties or a healthy snack!
Beets are the perfect flavor addition to hummus and paired with flavors like lemon and dill is just outta this world my friends!
Ingredients in beet hummus
The foundation to any hummus recipe is chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), and olive oil. From there you can add the flavors you’d like.
For this beet hummus recipe, there are beets (duh), but also lemon and dill.
How to make beet hummus
- Start by preparing the beet. Beets cannot be eaten raw and need to be cooked to be digestible. For this recipe, I boil the beets because it is a quicker method than roasting.
- Chop in a food processor until the beets are in coarse pieces.
- Add all the ingredients except oil and blend on low.
- Slowly incorporate olive oil to emulsify.
Tip on making GREAT hummus:
Emulsify the oil! Trust me, adding the oil last as the food processor is running, makes a HUGE difference. It really blends the hummus and makes it a smooth and creamy consistency.
Hummus is great on its own, but if you want to take this beet hummus to the next level, pair it with some homemade pita chips!
How to make homemade pita chips:
- Brush with olive oil, lemon juice, dill, and salt
- Bake for 7-9 minutes
It’s so simple, yet really elevates a crudite plate having some crunchy baked pita chips.
Hummus is perfect for parties as an appetizer or a healthy snack to bring to work. Pair with raw veggies or the homemade pita chips for a delicious snack.
Hummus is also the perfect companion on sandwiches! Slather this beet hummus on a veggie sandwich for a healthy condiment.
Beet hummus tastes great topped with fresh crumbled feta or goat cheese, but obviously, you can omit this step if vegan! It tastes great without it, but the salty cheese does elevate the dish in a delicious way.
What to serve with hummus:
- Homemade pita chips
- Bell peppers
- Grape tomatoes
If you tried this beet hummus recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Beet Hummus with Lemon Dill Pita Chips
- 1 beet peeled
- 1/4 cup tahini paste sesame seed paste - found near the peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice approx. juice from 1 lemon
- 1+1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- feta for topping (optional; omit if vegan)
Homemade Lemon Dill Pita Chips
- pita bread cut into eighths
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill plus extra for serving (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus extra for serving (optional)
- Peel the beet and chop into quarter-sized pieces.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add beet. Cook for 12-15 minutes until you can pierce a fork through a piece of the beet.
- Add to the food processor and add remaining ingredients for hummus except for the olive oil.
- Blend on low and while the food processor is running, pour the olive oil in. Blend until hummus is fully mixed and smooth.
- Serve with fresh dill, lemon zest, and feta on top (optional). Leftovers keep in the fridge for about 5 days.
To Make Pita Chips:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut pita bread into triangles and place on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, dill, and salt. Brush mixture onto pita slices.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until golden brown.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!