Huli Huli Jackfruit Slider
Sweet & tangy huli huli sauce mixed with pulled jackfruit to make this easy vegan dinner recipe. Jackfruit is the PERFECT vegetarian meat substitute!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 servings (makes 12 sliders)
- 2 20-ounce cans jackfruit in brine or water; NOT syrup
- 1 small bunch cilantro chopped
- 12 rolls or mini hamburger buns like King's Hawaiian (these are NOT vegan; see notes)
- juice from 1-20-ounce can of pineapple chunks (about 1/2 cup) Reserve pineapple chunks for serving
- 1/4 cup tamari can substitute with low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar can substitute with brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and minced (about 1-inch piece)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pinch red chili flakes 1 pinch red chili flakes
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour can substitute with cornstarch (optional; to make the sauce thicker)
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce except for the flour. Transfer to a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a bubble on low-medium heat. Reduce heat and whisk frequently until the sauce is thick (about 30 minutes). If you prefer a thicker sauce, stir in flour or cornstarch.
Drain jackfruit and transfer to pan over low-medium heat. Once jackfruit gets warm, mash with the backside of a fork or potato masher. Note, some jackfruit might have seeds still. Discard.
Mix sauce with jackfruit, reserving some for topping on sliders.
To assemble sliders, pile on jackfruit, extra sauce, cilantro, and pineapple chunks onto a toasted bun. Repeat until all the sliders are made.
Toast buns in the oven preheated to 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving: 2sliders (on Hawaiian roll) | Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 45.8g | Protein: 8.4g | Fat: 6.1g | Saturated Fat: 2.6g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 979mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 6.7g | Sugar: 21g | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 4.7mg