This vegan taco recipe is made with crumbled tempeh simmered in a snappy, savory homemade tomato sauce for a plant-based taco meat that everyone will love. Make vegan tempeh tacos with any tortillas you like and load with your favorite veggie toppings!
Vegan tempeh tacos are a fresh and fun dinner recipe that is perfect to enjoy solo or feed a crowd. These tacos feature your choice of tortillas loaded with a ground tempeh taco meat that’s cooked in zesty tomato sauce. Each bite is a party of bold and satisfying flavors!
Of course, the texture of a taco is just as important as the taste. Crumbled cooked tempeh gives you that ground beef meatiness, but is made entirely with plant-based ingredients. Vegans and meat eaters alike will love the familiar mouth feel and savory taste. Top the tacos with your favorite vegan goodies, or prep and set them out so that everyone can make their tacos however they like.
AND this recipe only takes about 30 minutes, so it’s perfect to make for a quick and easy dinner any night of the week.
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Diced tomatoes
- Red onion
- Vegan sour cream (love Kite Hill brand!)
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is a soy product made from fermented soybeans. It’s a nutrient-dense, protein-packed food that is a perfect meat substitute. If you get tired of tofu on repeat, I highly recommend trying to cook tempeh more or even soy curls!
Where can I buy Tempeh?
Tempeh can be found in the refrigerated section near the tofu. I personally buy my tempeh at Trader Joe’s!
HOW TO MAKE TEMPEH TACOS
- First, heat olive oil in a large skillet on the stovetop. Add the diced onion, and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Transfer this onion and garlic mixture to a dish and set aside.
- Next, use your hands to crumble the tempeh and add it to the pan. Add the chipotle chili and spices, and mix well. Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and add the diced tomatoes with their juices. Simmer and stir for 10 minutes.
- Now add the onion mixture back to the pan and mix well. Taste, and add more seasonings as needed.
Assemble the tacos using your choice of large or small flour or corn tortillas, and top with your favorite goodies.
OTHER IDEAS FOR USING VEGAN TEMPEH TACO “MEAT”
Using corn or flour tortillas to make tacos is just one of the many ways you can prepare this recipe…
The tomato and tempeh “meat” can be used in other Mexican-inspired dishes like vegan burritos or enchiladas. Load tortilla chips with scoops of cooked tempeh and vegan shredded cheese for the best meatless nachos. It also is perfect for making this vegan crunchwrap supreme recipe!
For a low carb meal try vegan tempeh taco salads. You also can swap traditional flour or corn tortillas for whatever gluten-free, keto/low carb tortillas you like.
SUGGESTIONS FOR PLANT-BASED TACO TOPPINGS
You can add nearly any vegetarian or vegan toppings you like to these savory tacos. A few of my personal faves are:
- Diced red onion
- Slices of jalapeno
- Vegan sour cream – I love Kite Hill brand!
- Chopped cilantro
- Avocado slices or homemade guacamole
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Salsa – store bought or homemade
Plus a wedge of lime on the side is always great add a pop of fresh flavor!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN TACOS
I seriously could eat an entire plate of these tacos by themselves and call that dinner. But yes, there are also many fabulous sides you can serve with vegan tacos.
Enjoy chips and vegan queso dip with your tacos or as an appetizer to get the mouth party started. Some classic taco sides include veggie refried beans or black beans and rice. Spanish rice and brown rice are a couple of my personal favorites.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Once the tempeh taco meat has cooled, transfer to a container with a lid and keep in the fridge. It will keep well for 4-5 days, and is easy to reheat in the microwave.
You can also freeze the vegan tempeh taco meat! Let cool and put in a zipper bag with as much air removed as possible, and keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating on the stovetop or microwave.
If you tried this vegan taco recipe let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Vegan Tempeh Tacos
- 8 tortillas of choice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 block tempeh
- 1 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce can diced tomatoes
- red onion finely diced
- jalapeno sliced thinly
- vegan sour cream love Kite Hill brand!
- cilantro chopped
- avocado sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Once hot, add onion. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until onions are soft. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Set onion mixture aside.
- Crumble tempeh with your hands and place the crumble in the pan. Add chipotle and seasonings and mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and add diced tomatoes. Let them gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add back onion mixture and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Assemble tacos. I like adding avocado, vegan sour cream, jalapeno, cilantro, and diced red onion!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which does not impact the cost to you, but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!