The holy grail of all ice cream sandwiches! Double chocolate chip cookies with marshmallows, vanilla ice cream dusted in graham crackers! These are so decadent you won’t believe they are vegan!
Let’s not even play that these bad boys are healthy. Yes, they are vegan BUT sometimes you just need to indulge! These ice cream sandwiches are filled with chocolatey, marshmallowy, ice creamy goodness!
Double chocolate cookies with marshmallows:
These chocolate cookies are so simple to make and they have the most perfect soft, chewy texture. Pair with ice cream and they are outta this world my friends!
- Start out with solid, yet scoopable coconut oil. This is equivalent to room temperature butter.
- Cream with sugar and mix in flax “egg”. In case you are unfamiliar a flax egg is ground flax seed mixed with water!
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Add dry to wet and combine until just mixed
- Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows
Note: If the dough is too dry, add some almond milk until cookie dough consistency is reached. I added about 1/4 cup
Pro tip: To prevent cookies from spreading too much when baking, stick the baking sheet with the cookie dough in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. This will help keep their shape!
If however they come out of the oven a little uneven, carefully shape them into uniform circles when they are still hot from the oven.
Once the cookies are cool, sandwich a scoop of ice cream in the middle and roll in crushed graham crackers.
Note: It’s best to work with very cold ice cream. Soft ice cream will turn into a melty mess!
Wait, are marshmallows vegan?!
Some people are not aware but a lot of times marshmallows are not vegan! They contain gelatin which is derived from pigs.
There are some better, healthier brands out there! Just have to read the ingredients. I personally love Dandies vegan and gluten-free marshmallows!
Variations of this ice cream sandwich:
- Substitute the flour for a GF blend and find GF graham crackers to make a fully gluten-free ice cream sandwich!
- Use coconut, soy, almond or cashew ice cream instead of dairy
- Substitute chocolate chips with nuts or white chocolate chips for a delicious flavor variation!
- Bake 2 giant cookies in a cake pan and turn this recipe into an ice cream sandwich cake!
These s’mores ice cream sandwiches are the perfect amount of mess and the flavors are on point.
Ice cream sandwiches are perfect for birthday parties or a delicious Summer dessert. These are a serious upgrade of the classic s’mores!
If you tried these vegan s’mores ice cream sandwiches, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
If you like this s’mores dessert recipe, you’ll love these aquafaba s’mores parfaits!
Vegan S'mores Ice Cream Sandwiches
Double chocolate chip cookies with marshmallows, vanilla ice cream dusted in graham crackers! These are so decadent you won't believe they are vegan! They are the perfect dessert for Summertime.
- 1 flax egg 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 Tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil softened (should be solid and scoopable)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour can substitute with whole wheat or a GF blend
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup almond milk
- 1-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips can use semi-sweet too
- 1 cup mini marshmallows ensure they are vegan!
- 5 graham crackers crushed
- 4 cups vegan vanilla ice cream about 1/2 of half-gallon container
Make the Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix ground flax seed and water. Place in the fridge.
In a medium mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar.
Remove flax egg from the fridge and stir in coconut oil/sugar mixture.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and combine with a rubber spatula until just mixed.
If the dough is too dry add some almond milk until cookie dough consistency is reached. I used about 1/4 cup.
Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
Roll dough into Tablespoon-sized balls and place on nonstick baking sheet. Place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
Remove from fridge and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Let cool completely.
Add graham crackers to plastic zip-lock bag and crush. Pour onto a plate and set aside.
Add a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream onto one cookie and place another on top. Gently press together.
Roll ice cream sandwich in graham cracker crumbs.
Consume immediately or store in the freezer until ready to serve.
- When assembling, it's best to work with very cold ice cream. Soft ice cream will turn into a melty mess!
- To prevent cookies from spreading too much when baking, stick the baking sheet with the cookie dough in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. This will help in keeping their shape.
- If however they come out of the oven a little uneven, carefully shape them into uniform circles when they are still hot from the oven.
This cookie recipe was loosely adapted from Six Sister’s Stuff
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!