I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again – there’s very few food combinations that can compete with peanut butter and jelly. They just taste so great together and this muffin recipe take this whole flavor duo to the next level. Even though I’m past my back to school days, this time of year still feels like “back to school” for me. Maybe it’s all the Facebook posts I see of kids off to school, or still semi mourning my college days, but you don’t need an excuse to indulge in a classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or in this case a peanut butter and jelly muffin. These vegan pb and j muffins are moist, cakey, and flavorful all in one. I don’t want to stretch it and say they are healthy, BUT they are a healthier option than reaching for processed snack that’s for sure. Flax seeds are used as an egg substitute and they are a great source of fiber and omega 3’s. You can even take this muffin recipe to the next level and use homemade chia jam, like I used in this granola bar recipe for an added health benefit. They are great for breakfast on the go or a snack to get you through that mid day hunger. Let’s welcome fall and back to school with open arms and eat all the peanut butter and jelly muffins, shall we?!
For me, cooking is like a million times easier than baking. I feel like I can be more creative and it comes more natural to me. Baking is such a science. I would be lying if I told you my kitchen wasn’t overflowing with muffins when I was testing these peanut butter and jelly muffins. I would make a batch, it wouldn’t taste as I’d hope, and I would research what I can do differently. Between getting that perfect balance of dry and wet ingredients, oven temperature, and achieving the perfect mixing method was a task in itself. Don’t even get me started on understanding leavening agents. Before I turn you away from this recipe, I promise it’s EASY! I did all the hard work so this recipe is fool proof. Muffins really are not hard to make, it’s just about getting the recipe down. I have a whole new respect for all the bakers out there.
Vegan Peanut Butter and Jelly MuffinsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons ground flax seed + 5 Tablespoons water)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup chunky or creamy organic peanut butter (I used chunky)
- 4 Tablespoons melted coconut oil (can substitute with melted butter)
- 4 Tablespoons jam
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line non stick muffin tin with liners or spray with cooking spray
- Mix ground flaxseed with water in small container and place in fridge to set
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, and cane sugar
- Whisk dry ingredients until well mixed
- In a small mixing bowl, add almond milk, peanut butter, and melted coconut oil
- Remove flax egg from the fridge. It should be an "egg-like" gelatinous consistency. Add to wet ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients well
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and fold with a rubber spatula. Make sure to not over mix in this step. Seeing some lumps and flour is okay! The batter should be thick and scoopable, not pourable.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins until two-thirds of the way full
- Add 1/2 teaspoon jelly on top of batter
- Spoon additional batter on top until jelly is covered
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon of peanut butter and jelly to top and mix with toothpick
- Bake at 450 for 5 minutes
- Bring temperature down to 400 and bake for an additional 15 minutes. You can tell when they are done baking by sticking a toothpick in the center of a muffin and it comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes
- Carefully take muffins out of tin and put on cooling rack to dry
I like adding some more peanut butter and jelly when eating, ya know, just for good measure 😉
What’s your favorite muffin recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Also, if you try this vegan peanut butter and jelly muffins tag me on Instagram @themindfulavocado or #mindfulavocado – I’d LOVE to see! Cheers, friends!