Citrus fans rejoice! I have the ultimate vegan dessert recipe for you. This key lime pie parfait recipe is so delicious you won’t even believe it is plant-based! Crunchy graham cracker crust layered with perfectly sweetened lime curd, and a light and fluffy whipped “cream”. This easy no-bake recipe is perfect for warmer months and a delicious healthy dessert!
How to make vegan whipped cream:
There are lots of alternatives to making a vegan whipped cream, using coconut milk is one of them. But what about a different, nonconventional way that is using an ingredient we normally throw away?
That’s where aquafaba comes into light.
You may or may not have heard about aquafaba, but it’s using the liquid from a can of chickpeas to make whipped cream. It sounds strange, I know, but if you save this liquid gold after straining a can of chickpeas, it can be whipped with powdered sugar and after time, becomes light and airy – similar to egg whites!
It can be used in a variety of dessert recipes, like these s’mores parfaits, and now these key lime pie parfaits.
Curd is another ingredient that requires dairy, but not in this vegan version. Here, we got coconut milk and some fresh lime juice with a hint of zest to bring out that lime flavor. After letting simmer on a stove top, it cools and the texture is pudding-like.
If you eat eggs, you can substitute a store-bought version for the sake of time, since the curd needs to sit overnight. Typically store-bought brands include eggs so take a closer look at the ingredients! Lime curd is not so easy to find, but lemon curd makes an excellent substitute.
These key lime pie parfaits are the real deal. They are subtle on the sweetness and citrus side but are packed with flavor. I made these in larger mason jars; however, they would be so cute in mini mason jars for a party. Bridal showers, Easter, Mother’s Day brunch, baby showers, you name it!
Tip: Aquafaba is best consumed right away because it can lose its volume. So prepare right before serving for best results!
If you tried this vegan key lime pie parfait recipe, let me know in the comments below and share a photo using #mindfulavocado. I’d love to hear from you! Want to see more recipes? Let’s get social! CONNECT WITH ME on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest to see what I’m currently cooking up!
Related: S’mores parfait
Vegan Key Lime Pie Parfaits
For the crust:
- 4 large rectangle graham crackers (reserve 1 for topping)
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
For the lime curd (you will want to make 5-6 hours prior or the day before):
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream
- 2 Tablespoons lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 Tablespoons agave nectar plus more to taste
For the whipped cream:
- 4 Tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from can of chickpeas — amount of liquid from 1 can)
- 4 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- pinch cream of tartar (this helps give volume when beating the aquafaba)
- In small saucepan, add coconut cream and lime zest
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk arrowroot starch and lime juice
- Add to coconut cream mixture in saucepan and mix well
- Add agave nectar and stir to combine
- Place saucepan on medium heat and bring to a low bubble making sure to whisk often
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to whisk, until thick and jiggly
- Remove from heat and adjust sweetness if necessary
- Let sit for 15 minutes to get thicker
- Transfer to a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit 5-6 hours or overnight
- Place graham crackers in the blender or food processor. Pulse until they are finely ground
- Add melted coconut oil and pulse a few more times until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Drain a can of chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and set the chickpeas aside for another recipe
- Add powdered sugar and cream of tartar to mixing bowl
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix on high speed until peaks form (5-10 minutes). Mix until aquafaba is a light and fluffy consistency.
- Construct parfaits by layering graham cracker crumbles, lime curd, and whipped aquafaba on top.
- Garnish with graham cracker pieces and lime zest
- Consume immediately. Aquafaba loses its volume fairly quickly so it’s best eaten right away.
Note: The lime curd recipe was adapted from Minimalist Baker’s Lemon curd recipe!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links which do not impact the cost to you but gives me a small commission. Thank you for your support!